Topsy Turvy Dummy Cake Question

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm by JaneDee

JaneDee Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 11

My daughters 3rd birthday is coming up next week and I wanted to make a topsy turvy cake but we really don't need all that much cake for the party but I still wanted it to be a decent size for presentation too.

I was wondering what you use inplace of the cake underneath (is it styrofoam or something) and what should I cover it with so I can cover the fake top two cakes with buttercream.
I am planning on using bc instead of covering them in fondant.

Will all of this even work for a topsy turvy cake? lol

Any advice or instructions appreciated greatly! Thank you!

10 replies
brincess_b Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 11

cake dummys are styrofoam. you can buy them, or make your own out of discs of styrofoam. buying is easier but if they are big, watch out for shipping! you can buy topsy turvey dummies, will save you carving them.

if you are just using buttercream to decorate the cakes, then you can just apply it to the dummy. (if you were using fondant, you could just use water, piping gel, or ryal, or bc, up to you)
xx

crumbcake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 11

While we're on this subject, I purchased some cake dummies from a cake decorating store, and they told me if I plan to use fondant on them, I should lightly sand the edges. I was told, if I didn't the top edges might tear or cut my fondant. Any feedback on this, as I have not started yet.

sadsmile Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 11

You can wrap up your dummies with plastic wrap and secure with a low temp glue gun and smoosh it smooth before it hardens. Then after you ice and are all done you can remove the icing and the plastic wrap and still re-use it again and again.

JaneDee Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 11

Okay thank you!

We might be doing her party on Saturday... we're waiting to see which day will be decent weather... so I doubt I'll have enough time to order online...

So if I were to buy them, do I get those styrofoam things from like Michaels/Ben F's that are for flowers? Or is it something totally different?

Sorry I've never make a dummy before, lol.

Thanks again!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 11

I buy my cake dummies from Global Sugar Art - I don't think anything comes close to what you need at a Michael's store.

sadsmile Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbcake

While we're on this subject, I purchased some cake dummies from a cake decorating store, and they told me if I plan to use fondant on them, I should lightly sand the edges. I was told, if I didn't the top edges might tear or cut my fondant. Any feedback on this, as I have not started yet.

If you cover in plastic and crumb coat in buttercream-which is needed for the fondant to stick to it -and then lay your fondant over it is like working on a real cake.

JaneDee Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 11

Ugh okay sorry someone has bubble gum stuck in their hair... *cough cough* and I have no idea how to get it out lol... Got a little distracted from the post.

Anyway, so does anyone know of anything I could buy in a store instead of online that would work for the dummy cakes because I really don't think I'll have time or extra money to ship it that quick for the party.

If not I'm sure I'll think of something last minute lol

brincess_b Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 11

if you have a local foam store you might get something there.
or if you can just find anything vaguely styrofoam like, say, in packaging, id play with that - just be prepared it might all go horribly wrong (so try it well in advance like now), and youd have a 1 tier topsy!
xx

sadsmile Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 11

OMGosh! Um I have heard mayo- oil-conditioner...ect anything greesy will help it slide off the hair and be combed out. And lemon juice or lime juice or orange hand cleaner for mechanics will disolve it.

JaneDee Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 11

Okay thank you ladies! I'll take a look and see what the stores have and play with it. If anything I'll just have to make one of those mini ones I saw on someones gallery. It was still really cute, just smaller with three tiers.

Yes I finally got the gum out!! She wasn't helping which made me fidget more and accidently yank her hair so she kept pretending it was hurting lol "Ouch... ouch... ouch" just so calmly that you could tell she was faking it lol

Someone told me to try peanut butter because of the oil in it. Not sure which of the things I tried got it out but its out! no more gum for this girl for a while. lol

Anyway thanks for the advice and help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%