Traveling With Cake

Decorating By sweetpea1972 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm by xstitcher

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 14

Hi all-

This is my first time traveling a long distance with a cake. I'm doing my SIL's wedding cake in TN this summer (10 hr ride). It's going to need to feed about 200! This is my gift to her so I can make it any shape I feel like.

I'm thinking that if I cover the layers in fondant and box them all separately, then I just need to assemble and put the finishing touches on it. MY DH is thinking we should do it all on-site (or at her house) but I'm just too afraid of not having the space/time etc. I need to finish it (my little ones are in the wedding as well).

Will the layers hold up on that long of a trip. I'm afraid of them sagging or shifting. Any suggestions would be appreciated icon_smile.gif

13 replies
sweetpea1972 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 14

No suggestions?? icon_cry.gif

sweetpea1972 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 14

bump

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 14

Wow - your sister is very lucky! icon_smile.gif How many days before the wedding will you be in town? Do you have kitchen space you could use? Will you have alot of pre-wedding rehearsals, etc to attend? You don't want to miss all the festivities.

I've never transported a cake 10 hrs by car, but i think you're on the right track about boxing them and assembling on site. I would think the design would play a large part in your decision. Perhaps you could cover in fondant and any decoration, flowers, etc. could be added when you arrive.

I've flown with a 2 layer fondant cake, which was unassembled and it was fine.

sweetpea1972 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 14

Beachcakes

Quote:
Quote:

Wow - your sister is very lucky!

I hope she appreciates it icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Actually I know she does.

It seems funny but even though the wedding is pretty large it's about as informal as you can get. I was planning on fondant and adding the decorations. I'm just such worrier even with a sheetcake in the back of my car. We're planning on going Friday and the wedding is Sunday.

Thanks for the input.

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 14

Didn't Duff drive one cross county? Anyone remember that? I don't even remember what it was but I swear I saw that at one point.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 14

Hmmm... I've never traveled 10 hours with a cake before, but I have traveled 5 with a tiered cake completely assembled and everything was fine.

I definitely think that boxing the cakes and assembling on site is the best way to go.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 14

One of the things I would worry about (besides the obvious from travelling in the car) is the heat in the summer time for that long a journey. Is there going to be a/c in the car where you'll be putting the cakes?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 14

You'll be fine!! icon_smile.gif I'll tell you another successful travelling cake story...

I made two 6" cakes for my goddaughters birthdays (pink minnie mouse cakes in my photos). Covered them in FondX fondant (which can be frozen). wrapped really well in plastic wrap and bubble wrap and packed each in separate small boxes w/ packing peanuts. Ears were packed separately. Then placed them all into a large shipping box w/ more packing peanuts and Express Mailed the whole thing from NY to FL. It arrived in perfect condition. only one cake slid a little on the board which was pushed back w/ no damage. If they could make it, yours can too! icon_smile.gif

sweetpea1972 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

Is there going to be a/c in the car where you'll be putting the cakes?

If there isn't I'm not going!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks to you all. I'm feeling much better about it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 14

I would suggest that you use SPS for support.

see siggy
|
|
|
V

melaniet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melaniet Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 14

I actually have to do the same thing this summer, only my trip is going to 8 hrs, and its my brothers wedding gift icon_smile.gif.
I was thinking of doing the same thing, covering with fondant transporting separtly then assemblying there. I was thinking though of freezing my cakes to make the trip, even though I have AC in my car I was hoping that would help with the summer heat. I'm going in August. I thought about doing the cake there but i want to spend the time with my family as I live far from them all and this i my vacation too.
I'm going to do a test cake sometime soon, to see what happens when i pull the fondant covered cake from the freezer.

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 14

I transported a fondant covered cake from Denver to Houston (about 18 hours). It was only one single tier, but it traveled great. That was even in the summer, from the dry air in Colorado to the super humid air in Houston. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea1972

Quote:
Quote:

Is there going to be a/c in the car where you'll be putting the cakes?

If there isn't I'm not going!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks to you all. I'm feeling much better about it!

I hear you on that one, I've had a/c go out on me on our trip from Houston to Calgary in July (not fun).
I also just wanted to make sure they weren't going to be in the trunk or something (I've read threads were some folks put it there and I can see how it would get really hot there).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%