Can Fondant Become As Strong As Gum Paste By Adding Tylose?

Decorating By elvis Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 2:43am by costumeczar

elvis Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 7

I work a lot with gum paste for cake toppers etc. since it is stronger than fondant. Online stores sell 20 lb buckets of fondant while I cannot find anything more than 5 lb of gum paste.

I am wondering if I were to buy the giant bucket of fondant, if adding tylose would make it as strong as gum paste? Thanks for any help that you can throw my way! :O)

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 7

I think it does. JMHO icon_smile.gif

howsweet Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 7

When I discovered that little secret, I never went back - no gumpaste for me anymore! Try a small amount and see how you like it (and you will). It doesn''t dry out as fast as gumpaste, but gets firm quick enough.

elvis Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your help!

xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 7

I have 2 agree with the other 2 posters but wanted to add that if you ever want to try making your own Nicholas Lodge's Recipe is supposed to be really good for flowers.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #6 of 7

I think gumpaste still rolls thinner but the tylose is invaluable for making fondant decorations to dry.

costumeczar Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #7 of 7

I make my own gumpaste by adding tylose to my home-made fondant. The ratio is 2 tsp to each pound of fondant for homemade, and 1 1/2 tsp for each pound of store-bought fondant (it already has gums in it.) Just add the tylose to the fondant and knead it in.

I don't know how it compares to store-bought gumpaste, but it dries hard and works fine for me. I can roll it out really thin, and thin petals out fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%