Can Fondant Become As Strong As Gum Paste By Adding Tylose?

Decorating By elvis Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 2:43am by costumeczar

elvis  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 7

I work a lot with gum paste for cake toppers etc. since it is stronger than fondant. Online stores sell 20 lb buckets of fondant while I cannot find anything more than 5 lb of gum paste.

I am wondering if I were to buy the giant bucket of fondant, if adding tylose would make it as strong as gum paste? Thanks for any help that you can throw my way! :O)

6 replies
 kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 7

I think it does. JMHO icon_smile.gif

howsweet  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 7

When I discovered that little secret, I never went back - no gumpaste for me anymore! Try a small amount and see how you like it (and you will). It doesn''t dry out as fast as gumpaste, but gets firm quick enough.

elvis  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your help!

xstitcher  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 7

I have 2 agree with the other 2 posters but wanted to add that if you ever want to try making your own Nicholas Lodge's Recipe is supposed to be really good for flowers.

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

Kitagrl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #6 of 7

I think gumpaste still rolls thinner but the tylose is invaluable for making fondant decorations to dry.

costumeczar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #7 of 7

I make my own gumpaste by adding tylose to my home-made fondant. The ratio is 2 tsp to each pound of fondant for homemade, and 1 1/2 tsp for each pound of store-bought fondant (it already has gums in it.) Just add the tylose to the fondant and knead it in.

I don't know how it compares to store-bought gumpaste, but it dries hard and works fine for me. I can roll it out really thin, and thin petals out fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%