How Do You Conduct A Cake Tasting?

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 5:13pm by MikeRowesHunny

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 6

New to selling wedding cakes and wanted to know how YOU conduct your tastings for your business. How many flavors nad filling choices to you give? Do you charge a fee...etc...Tell ALL!!

5 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 6

I offer their choice of 3 of my cake flavours. I used to do them as cupcakes, but I recently bought the mini tasty-fill pans (4in rounds with a recess for fillings), and these are perfect, and no more batter/work than 2 cupcakes (or 4 if you put 2 layers together), and I think it gives a better representation of what the real cake would be like (which cupcakes don't always do). I charge $30 and this is credited back to their cake cost if they book with me (100% so far, touch wood!).

Hope that helps!

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 6

so do you make the whole batter worth or what do you do with the rest of the cake you baked?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 6

I stopped doing invidual tastings. From my understanding, I am the only one in town who even has them (yeah!). I do them every 3 months coordinated with a planner, even though I have my own girls come in under no obligation to work with said planner. Two or 3 set times on a Sunday, 3 popular flavors, several fillings and frostings, fondant balls, and one 6 inch cake dressed up on a pretty stand to show how tall and how smooth a finished tier will look.

I have a lot of fun at these! Next time, a photogrpaher is coming along to shoot pics!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 6

The advantage for me, is no tied up weekends with people who may or not show up, and I don't have to halve recipes or store cakes away for "possibly coming by" people.....I bake full recipes, make as much frosting as necessary, and if there is any left, send it home with the girls!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlewops

so do you make the whole batter worth or what do you do with the rest of the cake you baked?

If I have extra I bake and freeze, most tastings want the same thing! Otherwise all my recipes 1/4 nicely and this is just right for these pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%