Help....the Filling Is Making The Cake Soggy!!!

Decorating By Lita829 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm by Lita829

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 9

This weekend I made a torted chocolate cake with raspberry filling. It was also covered in CMMF. It was my first time making this filling. When the cake was cut, the cake layers were wet icon_sad.gif . The cake was made on Saturday but wasn't served until Monday. It was kept in the fridge most of the time. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep this from happening in the future? Please help!

8 replies
pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 9

I'm new to making cakes, however I read on CC that maybe there was too much filling, or it was not thick enough, or some say to put the filling on top of some buttercream so it doesn't soak through as much, or I've heard that the cake itself may have been too moist to begin with. I don't know if that helps..... more seasoned bakers will probably have more to say.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 9

*did you put a crunbcoat on the layer before the filling? you need to put some sort of barrier between the cake and the filling*

wth is a crunboat?? LOL icon_lol.gifcrumbcoat icon_lol.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 9

Some people actually like their filling to soak into the cake, but I always spread a very thin layer of buttercream underneath my raspberry filling. HTH.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 9

i would say you had too much liquid in your filling. that happened to me a couple months ago when I tried a new strawberry filling, it was just too wet.

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 9

This has happened to me in the past. I fretted over it for a long time and then decided I would mix my fillings with some buttercream icing before spreading it on the layers. That solution, along with crumb coating, has fixed the problem with my cakes that need fillings, especially if they are going to sit for longer than a few hours. I also discovered that I was making my fillings too thin in the beginning. Don't give up, you will find a solution, if not on your own, then you certainly will from the great people on this site. Good luck ! icon_smile.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 9

The filling was probably too runny

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 9

What works for me is to add some unflavored gelatin to my fruit fillings, I've never had a problem with soggy cake since I started doing that and there's no need for the thin buttercream layer..

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'll definately try your suggestions. I didn't think to put any buttercream or crumb coat the cake before putting on the filling. I'll try this next time. thumbs_up.gif

CCers...you rock!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%