Need Frosting Under Fondant Advice...

Decorating By susicakes Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm by anasasi

susicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susicakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone used a light whipped frosting such as an Italian Meringue Buttercream under fondant? I use buttercream successfully but would like a lighter filling between my cake layers without worrying about the frosting "squishing" out under the weight of the fondant. I appreciate your advice and experiences.
Thank you, Susi

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 4

i believe whipped frostings dont really work, they cant support the weight of the fondant.
xx

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 4

The strawberry shortcake cake in my pics was coated with a very thick layer of SMBC. Worked fine for me! Maybe I was lucky? icon_smile.gif

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 4

I think it would be fine. Just do a test run on a small cake if you have the time. I just used a crumb coat layer and filling of buttercream/mousseline (easier version of IMBC, I think) combo on a stack of cakes 4 tiers tall and it worked perfectly. I let the cake sit frosted in the fridge overnight, just to make sure the frosting settled prior to covering it in modeling chocolate (which is actually heavier than fondant). The half buttercream/mousseline combo tasted JUST LIKE whipped cream, and the best part is it's supposed to be stable outside at room temp for up 2 days as long as you use powdered, pasteurized egg whites in the mousseline and up to 10 days refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%