Where To Get Acetate For Chocolate Wrap

Decorating By SweetMelissa2007 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 2:02am by cylstrial

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

I need help. I am making a birthday cheesecake for some friends and wanted to try the chocolate wrap but I don't have acetate. Does anyone know where I can find this that's not online (I need it for Thursday) or does anyone know something I can use besides acetate to wrap the chocolate.

Also, is it easy to cut through the chocolate when slicing the cake or does it break and crack? Is that why one recipe I saw said to put 1 tablespoon of oil in the chocolate? And is that vegetable oil or something else?

I appreciate any help you gals can give me!!
Melissa icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 9

Melissa,

Go to Wal-mart or some place like that and buy Clear Contact Paper (probably found where shelf liner paper is - maybe around pots and pans).

I think, once the cake sits out for a few minutes, the chocolate softens so cracking is not much of an issue. I like to run my knife under very hot water too before slicing the cake.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 9

For the cake you see as my avatar, I used freezer paper. I folded it into thirds to make it a little studier to work with. I added a tablespoon of shortening to my chocolate. You can cut through it with a sharp knife, no problem!

Jodie

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:45am
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much! I'm going to wal-mart tomorrow!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #5 of 9

Boy am I glad those suggestions were given!! I went to Michaels the other day and asked the girl "do you sell acetate." "No" she said. I said "do you even know what it is?" She answered "No. I just repeat what all the others are saying about it." OOOOIIIIIEEEEEEE!!! icon_confused.gif Even at JoAnns they had no clue what it was! icon_confused.gif

JodieF Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:32am
post #6 of 9

bobwonderbuns....I really liked using the freezer paper for another reason too (other than it being readily available). You can measure around the cake and have the freezer paper at the correct length. I added on a few extra inches, and remember, as you add layers of chocolate you need to add to the length! But, you only have one seam that way!

Jodie

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #7 of 9

What is freezer paper? Is that available at Wal-Mart also?

JodieF Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #8 of 9

Yes, you can get it at Wal-Mart. It would be in the same aisle as wax paper and foil. It's made for wrapping meat I believe. It's paper on one side and a plastic coating on the other.

Jodie

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:02am
post #9 of 9

I bought mylar at a local (small business) art store. It worked wonderfully for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%