Is It Easier To Cover A Round Cake With Fondant?

Decorating By shellycakes123 Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm by Callyssa

shellycakes123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellycakes123 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 8

Just wondering if you find it easier to cover a round cake, or square cake with fondant...i usually do round...do you need to roll out more fondant for square???

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 8

rounds are generally easier, its the corners of the squares that make them trickier.
i would roll out enough fondant to cover the cake, plus a little spare, for a circle or a square.
xx

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 8

I agree that rounds are easier - not as much potential for tearing. I don't know that this really helps, but when covering a square cake I always roll my fondant into a square shape. In my mind it keeps me from coming up short on one side. icon_biggrin.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 8

round is easier. hey I like the idea of rolling in square shape, thanks for the tip txcupcake

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 8

I used to hate square cakes, but over time, they have become easier to cover. I think it's just practice, practice, practice. Aine2 used to have a fantastic tutorial for square cakes on her website... haven't checked for awhile to see if it's still out there.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 8

Oh, you guys are freaking me out! I have my first wedding cake (my brothers') in a few weeks, five tiers, square, all covered in fondant! I've only used fondant a handful of times and had problems getting round cakes covered! I bought the blue silicone mat so I can roll it out on that and flip the fondant instead of try to lift it, but haven't tried it yet. I'll be practicing on a dummy square once my big rolling pin gets here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 8

Callyssa, your cakes are precious! I, too, love that zebra strip you did. I can see why it's a favorite of yours. Don't you love it when you have free reign?

Don't freak,... it's not as hard as it seems. Someone else suggested covering the square with fondant that has been rolled square. That's always good. As well, I have my cake sitting up off the table --say on the top of a shortening can... that way, when I flop the fondant over the cake, it drops vs. pools. then, I cut most of excess rather quickly so that the weight is not an issue. Next, I put the cake back down on a flat surface so that I can work with the rest of the excess. With squares, I smooth the corners first, then I work out the excess on sides. I've seen some decorators actually cut off excess on the corners. There's a lot of different ways... I've just found that smoothing the corners first is better for me.

YOU WILL LOVE YOUR BLUE SILICONE MAT!!! Good move.

If you can, do practice a little before you have to do the whole big cake. One other tip, start with the biggest cake, first. My friend taught me that and it makes a huge difference. By the time you work your way up to the smallest, you've conquered all the demons!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much Win! I'll definitely remember to elevate the cakes first. I think the mat is a great idea, whether I can prove it is or not is another thing! I have Sharon's fondant video and she makes it look so darned easy! I think if I keep my fondant on the thicker side I'll be better off. I'll be practicing on a 14" cake dummy, which is the bottom of the five tiers, so if I happen to get it "right" while practicing I'm leaving it alone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%