I've Torn My Rotator Cuff...

Lounge By GrannieJ Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 3:16am by SweetResults

GrannieJ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 16

and need surgery this week. How common is this for cake decorators? Anyone else had this issue?? icon_cry.gif

15 replies
luvsfreebies72 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 16

I haven't done this, but

hope it feels better fast

veejaytx Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 16

I've had shoulder replacement surgery, but for arthritis (my shoulder froze, very painful, and very little range of motion.) The surgery was not too bad, just be sure to faithfully do the exercises and the rehabilitation program the doctor recommends. that can make all the difference.

Good luck, and a quick recovery!

GrannieJ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks for your good wishes! The doctor said it's common for people in this business, because of all the repetitive movements.

veejaytx Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 16

Yes, and also one of the reasons I can no longer stand up to baking and decorating (I also need both knees replaced, and just cannot make that commitment.)

While I was in rehab I met people who had rotator cuff repair surgery, and all of them were doing well.

beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:58am
post #6 of 16

Nope, but DH had rotator cuff surgery about 12 years ago and he's good as new. Be sure to follow the doctor's/therapist's orders and you'll be fine. (((hugs)))

GrannieJ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 16

Thank you for all your support!! I have my surgery tomorrow, April 9th!! Yikes!

veejaytx Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 16

Good Luck

and Happy Birthday (in advance)

mocakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 16
Originally Posted by GrannieJ

Thank you for all your support!! I have my surgery tomorrow, April 9th!! Yikes!

How weird...I actually have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow!!

I have had shoulder pain for almost 10 years due to a volleyball injury. It would get better then after I would use it...it would hurt so bad!

Diagnosed with a separated shoulder last month, but therapy was not helping so he ordered an MRI. It shows tears in muscle, cartilage and tendons.

So I will be thinking of YOU while I'm visiting with the surgeon tomorrow!!

GrannieJ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #10 of 16

I'll update you all in a few days, good luck with your appointment!!

veejaytx Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:29am
post #11 of 16

Good luck to both of you, and will be looking forward to updates on how you are doing.

Deb_ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #12 of 16

Just saw this so I'm sorry my good wishes are a little late.

I hope your surgery goes well today, I'll be thinking about you!

Best wishes!
Deb icon_smile.gif

mocakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 16

GrannieJ....I've been thinking of you and hoping your surgery went well!

I had my appt Thurs and he said the MRI shows bursitis, tendonitis, osteoarthritis and tearing of muscle, cartilage and tendons. He did a steroid injection that, aside from childbirth, was one of the most painful things that I've ever experienced. Let's just say I almost fainted more than once.....

The next morning I couldn't even move my arm. I was in tears as my DH tried to make a sling for me. Called the surgeon, they said that was normal. That would have been nice for them to tell me that the day before!

Looks like surgery is in the near future...but the steroid injection will pinpoint where he needs to focus his attention.

GrannieJ, you've been on my mind all weekend. Hope you are feeling better!!!

veejaytx Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:15am
post #14 of 16

mocakes, I'm so sorry you didn't get a better result from your trip to the doctor. I've had a couple of the steroid injections, and mine didn't hurt like that (although they were prepared if I were to faint or anything), I'm so sorry that it was so bad. I agree, it would have been nice if you'd had some warning. I would guess it was bad because of the combination of problems in the shoulder (mine was just arthritis and it had frozen in place.) I had the complete joint replacement surgery soon after.

I hope everything goes well for you, and am sure you will have good results when the doctor "fixes" it up for you.

granniej, hope you will give us an update soon and let us know how you are doing.

mocakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks veejaytx....I appreciate your kind words.

I am on day 5 now after the injection and it is much better than it was Friday, but still worse than when I went in. When I called on Friday in so much pain, the nurse said give it 48 hours. Then I called yesterday and the nurse said it could take up to 5 days. They keep changing the day!

I've had back injections 4 or 5 times before, but that doc put me out (thank goodness...now I know why!) but the shots really did nothing to stop pain. Maybe I just don't respond well to steroids.....who knows?

You can bet I will be calling back today!

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

SweetResults Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #16 of 16

I had an injection a few years ago for a rotator cuff injury - the first 2 days were AWFUL!! Like you said childbirth was bad, but the only thing I ever had worse than that shot was shingles (the worst pain EVER, but that is another story). But after that it got much better and I was able to move my shoulder again. I have not had to go back yet - knock wood.

I hope your surgery went well!! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%