Crusting Vs. Non-Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By Jenthecakelady Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm by pianocat

Jenthecakelady Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 8

I have never used a noncrusting buttercream before. I am wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages and when it would be best to use.

7 replies
mbt4955 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not very good at smoothing my buttercream, so I always use a crusting recipe. I do have a case of Bettercreme in the freezer now, so I guess I'd better tone up my skills.

Here's a bump. I'll be eager to see what the pro's say! icon_smile.gif

jonahsmom Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 8

I'll be watching for an answer from the pros as well! It seems if I don't use one specific bc recipe I have a terrible time smoothing and just get frustrated....then I scrape it off and start over with my regular bc recipe....boo!!!!

BakingGirl Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 8

Non-crusting BC such as IMBC have the advantage of flavour (in some people's opinion) - it is less sweet than traditional powdered sugar BC. The texture is very smooth and silky, and it also had a beautiful gloss that you do not get with traditional BC which is much more matte. You cannot use the neat tricks you can use with crusting BC like the roller, having said that I often put my IMBC cakes in the fridge and when hard use a Viva towel and the warmth of my hand to smooth out lines and bumps. A hot dry spatula is great for smoothing IMBC although it takes a bit of practice.

pianocat Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 8

Agree with BakingGirl. I don't like the texture of 'crusted' bc for eating, the IMBC or SMBC are SO much better tasting. I do use crusting bc when I'm not filling and don't want to refrigerate cake, you can get the frosting really smooth. If you work with IMBC/SMBC you do get to the point where you can get it pretty smooth and crisp. Most of my cakes are SMBC.

Jenthecakelady Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 8

So in other words...practice with IMBC or SMBC until I get used to it and stick with regular crusting BC on cakes for other people.

Do you have any recipes think are better than others (& for what reason)?

Sorry I'm being so nosy, I just want to figure this out!

BakingGirl Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 8

I have not used SMBC but I more or less always use IMBC. I have tried various recipes and have had varying results. IMBC can be a bit temperamental, specifically for me I have found it hard to get a stiff consistency. I now use Shirley's method which I have found the most reliable for me:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-271-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

The only thing I do different is that I use 4 sticks of butter instead of 3, just to get a bigger volume.

I find that it takes a long time for the meringue to cool enough to add the butter. Add it too soon and you will end up with soup. I have started to let the mixer run for long enough to make the meringue really stiff, but then I will pop in the fridge for about 20 minutes to take the heat out of it before I add the butter. That way I avoid the IMBC ending up too soft.

pianocat Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 8

I like the Well Dressed cakes swiss meringue recipe (with variations). But in the past I have use IMBC (Shirleys method) it is good also. The WDC swiss just seems easier for me. Both taste great! IMHO they should allowed to come to room temp. before serving (but stored in refrigerator)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%