How Much To Charge For Cake Balls

Decorating By ccwkg Updated 20 Jan 2014 , 8:02am by mossy

ccwkg Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:11am
post #1 of 14

I know I have seen it on here before but every search I can think of is coming up empty in the forums. I don't know what I am doing wrong or maybe the search doesn't like me very much icon_cry.gif Any way, I have a lady that would like to buy 70 peanut butter cake balls and I'm not sure how to charge. I've never charged fro them before so I want to make sure i don't gyp myself. ( I tend to do that ) Thank you for your help and if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong on my search so I don't bug my CC friends by asking the same questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

13 replies
solascakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:26am
post #2 of 14

I think you need a bit of luck with the searches,I haven't been too lucky myself but keep trying.I have never done cake balls so i don't know but i'm sure you'll get some help soon.I put them in the category of petit fours (ie too much work), and i doubt people will want to pay much cos there are cute and little and do not appreciate the amount of work that goes into them.Good luck.

brincess_b Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 14

the search on cc leaves a lot to be desired, it can be a bit tempermental! you might hve better luck if you click on forums, and int he bar at the top of the page is another search button. it can be more reliable than the search at the top right corner.

id charge a fortune. although u would hopefully get a good system worked out, thats a lot of cake to make, crumb, and buttercream, ball, coat, maybe coat again? and then detail!
so, figure out the basic costs, then figure out how much time will it take. how long does it take you to do 10, multiplied.
xx

soygurl Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 14

I would charge .75-$1.25 each. Take a look at your costs, and estimate the time it will take you. You want to make sure that you ARE making a profit.

Oh, and if you don't already have one, get spring loaded scoop in the right size. It will speed things up a ton!

Make sure you do them in the biggest batch possible, and work in an "assembly line" style to save time. Mix a huge batch, scoop all the balls from that batch, roll all the scoops to round them out. Repeat till you have enough balls, then coat them all at once. thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl

I would charge .75-$1.25 each. Take a look at your costs, and estimate the time it will take you. You want to make sure that you ARE making a profit.

Oh, and if you don't already have one, get spring loaded scoop in the right size. It will speed things up a ton!

Make sure you do them in the biggest batch possible, and work in an "assembly line" style to save time. Mix a huge batch, scoop all the balls from that batch, roll all the scoops to round them out. Repeat till you have enough balls, then coat them all at once. thumbs_up.gif

That's great advice. I've been wanting to try to make these!

2txmedics Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 14

ok, that covered on pricing for cake balls, but now what about a cake ball tree? Im asking cause Im making one tomm...for honey of course, its my first one...since its a bday one, I decided to go all out, and make it very pretty, if I can...lol to add to my album and also to show people it can be used for weddings, anniver...or whatever.

I have a 12" cone I believe, I thought 50 cake balls would fit it, I read somewhere that it would take 100...yikes! So on a cake ball tower/tree what would one charge? Im adding ribbons and greenery/flowers...hopefully if it holds up. I know around here they sell a box of like 6 cake balls for 13.00 and a 12 box for 22.00

ccwkg Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #7 of 14

Thanks Soygurl! That was great advice! I never thought of using a scoop! That would definitely keep them all the same size! Thanks for the pricing advice. I never know what to charge someone. I hate to over charge but I also hate to not get paid for my time!

2txmedics, I have never heard of a cake ball tree! That sounds very interesting I would love to see what one looks like!

brincess_b & solascakes, I think next time I do a search, I'm going to stand on my head with one foot facing west, my tongue touching my nose and my eyes crossed. Maybe it might work for me. Thanks for understanding!

xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:29am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwkg

....I have never heard of a cake ball tree! That sounds very interesting I would love to see what one looks like!

There's a few different pics on this site and I know we have a few in our gallery too.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1089/552447741_ef61cd284f.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/cakesbyashley/552447741/&usg=__afLVQopXOPLDajO7QtlrMzJmHPY=&h=500&w=389&sz=90&hl=en&start=18&um=1&tbnid=RW_wVisu4Ft_XM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=101&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcakeball%2Btree%2Bpic%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

chilz822 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:31am
post #9 of 14

ccwkg, you'll get more results returned if you just cross one eye!
icon_biggrin.gif

soygurl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:17am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwkg

Thanks Soygurl! That was great advice! I never thought of using a scoop! That would definitely keep them all the same size! Thanks for the pricing advice. I never know what to charge someone. I hate to over charge but I also hate to not get paid for my time!

Glad to help! It's just how cake balls are done at the bakery I work at. They're done in batches of about 100+ I think (I don't make them), and it doesn't take longer than 2 hours (not counting baking the cakes, we just save up scraps in the freezer). We charge $1.15 each.
Hope it goes well for you!

ivgotahalo Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:40am
post #11 of 14

THis post helped me out a ton too! Thanks! Now a question for you... any way to make dipping easier? I'm using forks and it takes FOREVER! I'm going 300 for a wedding in october and i want them to look really pretty. Any tools / tips to make dipping easier?

soygurl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:00am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivgotahalo

THis post helped me out a ton too! Thanks! Now a question for you... any way to make dipping easier? I'm using forks and it takes FOREVER! I'm going 300 for a wedding in october and i want them to look really pretty. Any tools / tips to make dipping easier?

Just use your hands! Pick up a ball, dunk it in your big bowl of melted chocolate, roll it around/shake it off a little, and drop it on a piece of parchment. Each ball should only take about 5 seconds to dip. Sure, you're hand will end up totally goopy
If you want to make them fancy for the wedding, I would drizzle a different color chocolate on top. It would be quick and easy, and I think drizzled chocolate always looks nice and elegant. Maybe you could even do the drizzled in colored candy melts to to match the wedding colors! icon_lol.gif
Oh, and IME, the best way to drizzle chocolate is to put it in an uncut disposable piping bag, and just cut off the tiniest tip. Melted chocolate will flow nicely and you won't get goopy splotches like you would drizzling with a fork or something.
Actually, I melt the chocolate in the bag too. It's definitely the least messy way! I just twist-tie the top closed, and sit the bag in a tall narrow container of HOT water. It melts quite quickly, and if i ever need to re-melt the chocolate I simply fold up the cut point, and use a tiny binder clip (the strong black ones) to keep the tip shut while the bag is in a hot water bath. thumbs_up.gif
HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

mossy Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 7:55am
post #13 of 14

AHi I use a toothpick and a spoon, I deeped the cake ball in to. The melted chocolate and I insert the toothpick into the cake ball and hold it and wait a few second to drip some chocolate then put it on a piece of wax paper

mossy Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 8:02am
post #14 of 14

AForgot to mention that I alway add a tablespoon of vegetable shortning when I melt the chocolate to get a thin consistency its a lot easier to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%