Cake Dummy Substitutions?

Decorating By lindambc Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm by Win

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:51am
post #1 of 6

I apologize in advance! I know I have seen this topic floating around before, but I can't find it!

I would like to know what I can use for cake dummies, if I can't get them in time? Can I use styrofoam circles? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:35am
post #2 of 6

You can use styrofoam circles - cake dummies aren't anything different. You can make your dummies yourself. If you can order them, it isn't mostly worth your time and the cost, but you can make them.
Either buy styrofoam, cut (let cut) circles. You can stack and glue them together.
Second possibility (heavier) is to use plaster of Paris. Mix perlite in it (can be bought in garden center or probably in home depot) - this will make it lighter.
You can use paper mache as well. Tear newspaper into small pieces and soak in water 3-4 hours, blend in the blender until paper is mushy. Drain and pack into pan: Using a terry cloth towel, press paper into all the crevices and absorb excess water. Mold a shell only, by pressing the paper mixture into the bottom and inside edges of the pan. When completely dry, remove from pan. To make it solid would take much time for drying but can be done.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 6

Another option of making a dummy yourself is to stack up cake circles/boards, cover w/aluminum foil or press & seal plastic wrap (NOT please plastic cling wrap) then ice as usual.
It's harder (at least in my opinion) to do special shapes this way but if it's just an 8" round or such it will work just fine.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both for the great advice and ideas! I am entering two cakes in the fair but I am not able to order dummies right now. I will let you know how they turn out!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 6

If you have time....tay lor foam . com is lightning fast. I get mine 2 days after ordering!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 6

You can use the spray foam used for insulation... It can be found in hardware stores. Take your pan, and cut a piece of cardboard that will act as a cover. Spray the pan with vegetable oil and proceed to spray the foam into the pan. The foam expands, so stop short about two thirds full. Place the the cardboard over the top like a lid and allow the foam to expand and harden. When it is cured, pop it out like a real cake. If it needs trimming, an exacto knife is all that is required. This is a great method especially for character cakes, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%