Wasc Recipe

Baking By CAKEtankerous Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 5:30am by lindambc

CAKEtankerous Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:19am
post #1 of 2

Has anone tried mixing smashed bananas into the wasc recipe and if so how was it inocrporated. What is a good crusting receipe with flavor that would go well with the cake. Thanks for anyone who replies to this.

1 reply
lindambc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:30am
post #2 of 2

I smash over ripe bananas in wasc and add a small box of banana pudding.

Here is a great link! It came from the gourmet flavor thread. Keep it in your favorites it gets updated as we add recipes and wasc variations.

Also, this buttercream recipe was shared with me. I love it. Instead of meringue powder for crusting, I add 1/4 to 1/2 cup shortening more. I tried several different butters and I think I like the taste Land o Lakes salted sweet cream butter gives the frosting.

Best Buttercream Recipe
Shared by Serenatea

6 Cup recipe ~ makes enough for 1 9 in 4 layer cake plus decorations or 9 x 13 w/decorations

11/2 C. Crisco Shortening (hi-ratio can be used)
2 sticks butter (16 Tbsp), slightly soft but not mushy (I use unsalted)
1/4 to 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
2 tsp Butter or vanilla extract
2 lbs (8 cups) powdered sugar, sifted (measure then sift)
2 TBSP meringue powder, optional for crusting

Beat the shortening until smooth, add the butter and beat together until smooth and light and fluffy. Add smaller amount of heavy cream indicated and the vanilla and mix well. Add HALF the powdered sugar and mix for 5 minutes on low-med speed. Add remaining sugar and mix well. Add more cream or powdered sugar if necessary to adjust for consistency. For fluffier BC beat on low-med speed for about another 10 min. For a super smooth (not fluffy) BC dont beat longer than 5 min. This BC will be whiter when beaten longer. **** ( You can use wilton whitener to get it white)

VARIATIONS: ~~~~~~~~~

Use 1 tsp of regular vanilla PLUS 1/2 tsp of almond, lemon, or orange extracts. PLUS 1 or more tsp orange, lemon or lime peel to match the extract.

With the 6 cups Crisco recipe: Beat in 4 squares melted and cooled semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate **(remove 2 TBSP butter) ** with the butter and shortening. Beat until light and fluffy. Replace 3 TBSP powdered sugar with 3 TBSP Hershey's special dark cocoa powder for a dark buttercream color or cocoa powder, natural or dutch-processed for a lighter BC color. (Sift the cocoa powder after measuring and blend in with the first cup of PS). You may need slightly more whipping cream for consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%