Cake Storage

Decorating By Monka_mommy Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm by juleebug

Monka_mommy Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:14am
post #1 of 8

I have been debating for the last three days about the cake I want to make for my hubby's grandma's birthday. We are celebrating her b-day and Easter all on the same day. I have a 12x18 cake pan. My problem is that I don't think I'll be able to bake it and decorate all in the amount of time I have before everything starts.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to store it overnight so it doesn't dry out? I don't have a cake container that big and wont have a chance this week to try to find one. However I do have a card board cake box for the cake.

7 replies
xstitcher Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:25am
post #2 of 8

Shouldn't be a problem overnight. I've done it many times because I've gotten busy with the kids and it's too late and I'm to tired to ice it.

You could crumbcoat it after it cools to seal it or you could brush some simple syrup on it.

Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:36am
post #3 of 8

Just wrap it well with plastic wrap or foil and it will be fine! icon_smile.gif

Monka_mommy Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I feel a lot better having experts tell me it will be ok.

juleebug Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 8

When I have to store cakes overnight, I place them in a cool oven. It keeps them from being exposed to temperature variances (I keep my house VERY warm in the winter) and keeps them safe from the curious fingers of my children.

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 8

I wrap mine in plastic wrap and then place them in the oven overnight (after it cools). Great minds think alike!

Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 8

Mine would be dry cake mummies, as I have a pilot light in my gas oven. LOL

juleebug Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Mine would be dry cake mummies, as I have a pilot light in my gas oven. LOL

OMGoodness! icon_surprised.gif That didn't even cross my mind! I haven't had a gas oven in 15 years. Glad you cleared that up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%