Sams Club Icing

Decorating By Sweetlepea Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 1:03am by bizatchgirl

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 20

I keep reading about this Sams club icing, and I'd really love to try it, too! icon_lol.gif Could anyone tell me more about it?? From what I've heard, it comes in a gallon tub.. How much is it? icon_rolleyes.gif And you have to ask for it at the bakery counter, right? Also... Is it a bettercream, or a buttercream?
TIA!

19 replies
mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:51am
post #2 of 20

I use Sams and actually really like it. I have never been able to make an icing that is liked any more then Sams. I am not a fan of any icing actually. It also works well for me because I make a ton of cakes for families with allergies and it is free of the most common ones.

I have only used Buttercreme, but from posts on CC i understand they sell Bettercreme too.

My Sams Club requests I order by phone in advance so they can order extra. It usually takes 3-4 days to arrive. During non holiday times of the year, they are fine with just selling me from their stock though.

Anyway, it is a 28lb bucket for $33 or so. It has a good shelf life.

Give it a try!

Kris

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:50am
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2owen1

I use Sams and actually really like it. I have never been able to make an icing that is liked any more then Sams.

Ok maybe that is why I don't like it. I definitly am NOT trying to brag, but I do make darn good buttercream. I have fussed on here about not liking Sams and I think that momowen1 just nailed it. I really really really like the taste of what I make and that must be why we don't like the Sams.

mom2owen1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Ok maybe that is why I don't like it. I definitly am NOT trying to brag, but I do make darn good buttercream. I have fussed on here about not liking Sams and I think that momowen1 just nailed it. I really really really like the taste of what I make and that must be why we don't like the Sams.

Care to share your recipe?

cakemommy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy09 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 20

I didn't buy it for the taste. I love the taste of the BC I make, too. However, I am having problems with the crisco lately. I am used to having completely smooth cakes and haven't been able to do that lately. After making about 14 cups of icing the other day and having my kitchen completely covered in powdered sugar, I decided to try it. I did a basketweave cake and liked it. I will let you know how I like it for smoothly icing cakes.
I asked the bakery girl and she said there is only buttercream. Bettercreme is the brand. I think she may be wrong, but that is what she told me. Oh, the Sam's doesn't taste bad at all. I don't absolutely think it is the best, but don't mind it.

mom2owen1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy09

I didn't buy it for the taste. I love the taste of the BC I make, too. However, I am having problems with the crisco lately. I am used to having completely smooth cakes and haven't been able to do that lately. After making about 14 cups of icing the other day and having my kitchen completely covered in powdered sugar, I decided to try it. I did a basketweave cake and liked it. I will let you know how I like it for smoothly icing cakes.
I asked the bakery girl and she said there is only buttercream. Bettercreme is the brand. I think she may be wrong, but that is what she told me. Oh, the Sam's doesn't taste bad at all. I don't absolutely think it is the best, but don't mind it.

I think she must be incorrect too. The buttercream I buy at sams is the Sams/Walmart Brand of Buttercreme. I have also bought similar icing, also in a 28lbs bucket, from my local grocery store. That is Allen brand Buttercreme.

What does your bucket say?

Kris

cakemommy09 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 20

It says Butt-r-creme. She must have thought that is what I was asking about.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 20

Hey cakemommy09, I think I can solve your mystery. icon_smile.gif As you aptly pointed out, Sam's sells their version of buttercream called, I believe, But-R-Cream. They DO sell the Bettercreme too but they don't call it that. They call it nondairy vanilla whipped topping/frosting. If you ask them for Rich's Bettercreme (at least at MY Sam's), they'll look at you like you have two heads, but if you ask for the nondairy vanilla whipped topping in the 5 gallon bucket, voila! Bettercreme! icon_biggrin.gif It's cheaper than the But-R-Cream too. Hee hee.

cakemommy09 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 20

Thanks! I am definitely going to finish the tub I bought. We will see if I like it enough to buy again. I do like the homemade better. I just have had so many issues lately. I am going to buy the SugarEd Productions videos and hopefully that will help.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2owen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Care to share your recipe?

My recipe isn't a lot different than most on here. I just use all butter and add milk, powdered sugar, vanilla, and almond extract to it. I really don't measure things out it just looks right and tastes right. I just eyeball it. But it tastes wonderful.

driveacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
driveacake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 20

so glad i found this! i just bought some of the SAMS buttercream for my daughter's upcoming bday cake i will be attempting!

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:37am
post #12 of 20

Thanks everyone!! Do I need to be a sams club member? And does anyone know if Costco sells there icing too? Or just Sams?

mom2owen1 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:34am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlepea

Thanks everyone!! Do I need to be a sams club member? And does anyone know if Costco sells there icing too? Or just Sams?

Yes, you do need to be a member to just get in the door. I am not sure on the Costco question.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:43am
post #14 of 20

There was another Sam's Club icing thread going around recently and someone on there said they called Costco and Costco doesn't sell their icing. I keep forgetting to check when I'm actually there!!

We have our membership there, and my friend has one at Sam's. We've worked out a deal. I go w/her to Sam's to get my icing, then when I'm at Costco I pick up raw almonds for her. It's a fair trade.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:36am
post #15 of 20

Costco doesn't sell their icing...total bummer. I asked ours as well as calling several others.

I got a free day pass for Sam's online and used that. I heard something about how it waived the 10% upcharge for non-members but then something else about how there was no upcharge for CA.

So I don't know what that means.....does that mean in CA you must become a member or you can't buy - with the upcharge or with the day pass??

It might be a moot point at this rate since my husband and I fell in love with that place and will probably just join (even thought I am 70 miles away from the nearest one.)

I bought a tub of vanilla and a tub of chocolate and sweet mother of God, that stuff is incredible, addictive and absolutely delicious. And the cool thing is every time I use it, people think I airbrushed the cake with sparkle....very cool side effect.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:20pm
post #16 of 20

Can one of you who have used Sam's Club buttercream tell me if it crusts well or not for the VIVA method of smoothing?

bizatchgirl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #17 of 20

I use Sugarshack's method, which includes a little bit of Viva, along with some other things. It works out great.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #18 of 20

Can you put fondant over Sam's Buttercream?

lkeen0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkeen0 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:17pm
post #19 of 20

Our Costco DOES sell icing by the tub. Not sure of the size of the tub or the price. Right outside of the bakery, don't even need to pre-order it. Maybe different Costco's are different. I just saw it for the first time a couple of months ago, I have not tried it though.

bizatchgirl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNZ

Can you put fondant over Sam's Buttercream?

I've used it under fondant and it worked out great. I know some think it's too sweet but I like it better than regular buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%