MFF Information

Baking By Sugarflowers Updated 25 Apr 2014 , 7:45pm by Lonemountain

pilkey Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #61 of 126

Woo HOo! Fondant was fine...not rock hard! Can't wait to use it on the cakes now!

And they have the Baker's white chocolate chips in our grocery store icon_smile.gif

d925marie Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:58pm
post #62 of 126

I'M so happy that I found this thread. I've tried MMF, it seems to tear and has a ton of cracks. Today i tried a buttercream fondant recipe. I've added a ton more PS than the recipe calls for, and it's STILL super sticky.

So now, here I am, back to considering MFF. This is going to be my last try, hopefully my best one yet icon_smile.gifI have a cake to make for Tuesday, and I'm trying to determine what i'm gonna use to cover it. If all else fails, I guess I will be going back to store bought Satin Ice. Wish me luck!

d925marie Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #63 of 126

Ok, it must just be me. I'm kneeding my fondant, and it is still sticky. What am I doing wrong?! I've already added the needed amount of PS and then some. Somebody, HELP!!!

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:54am
post #64 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by d925marie

Ok, it must just be me. I'm kneeding my fondant, and it is still sticky. What am I doing wrong?! I've already added the needed amount of PS and then some. Somebody, HELP!!!




How much powdered sugar are you adding? I add a 2 pound bag of sifted powdered sugar to my mixing bowl and strain the gelatin/syrup mixture into the bowl and start my mixer. Once this is fully incorporated I start adding more powdered sugar, a cup at a time, until I can stick my finger in the fondant and it leaves an indention but none of the fondant sticks to my finger. I usually end up adding about 3 1/4 pounds of powdered sugar total.

I then grease my work surface with at least 1/4 cup of Crisco and my hands as wel. I knead the fondant for a couple of minutes and wrap in plastic wrap that I grease with Crisco. I doulbe wrap and put in a zip lock baggie.

When I roll out this fondant to use...I use cornstarch...lots of cornstarch icon_lol.gifI love this recipe and I make 6-10 batches of it each week. I don't ever refrigerate because I use it up pretty fast.

d925marie Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:59am
post #65 of 126

I added the 2lb bag to the mixer bowl, and added more from there. At this point, I'm almost to 4lbs.

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:14am
post #66 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by d925marie

I added the 2lb bag to the mixer bowl, and added more from there. At this point, I'm almost to 4lbs.




I add almost 4 pounds. I said 3 1/4 but I meant 3 3/4. I usually have only about 1-2 cups left of the second bag. Stop when you've added all but about a cup or two and grease your hands and work surface using about 1/4 cup Crisco. I promise you'll love the fondant if you'll follow through with the process of making it. Keep the work surface covered with Crisco or it will stick. But once you've wrapped it and let it rest overnight use the cornstarch (lots) for working with it....rolling it out and all...for workability I've never used a fondant any better or as good even.

Hope you can get it to work for you. I've never had any trouble with this recipe even when I made it by hand before I bought my stand mixer.

artscallion Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:39pm
post #67 of 126

Not to belabor the point. But I wanted to bump this thread, created by Michele Foster, explaining which recipe for her fondant is the correct one. There is much confusion as there are three recipes for it posted on CC. Hope this clears up the confusion.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 9:33am
post #68 of 126

I just finished making it using the original recipe icon_sad.gif
Maybe the other two recipes could be deleted to help with the confusion? the other recipes didn't even show up when I googled it.

Sugarflowers Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:56am
post #69 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

I just finished making it using the original recipe icon_sad.gif
Maybe the other two recipes could be deleted to help with the confusion? the other recipes didn't even show up when I googled it.


I have asked that two of the recipes to be deleted but received no response. However, any of the recipes WILL work. The weather conditions of different locations can make a difference in the consistency as well as the viscosity of the liquids used. Extra flavors and colors also change the chemistry.

Any recipe needs to be adjusted to taste, etc. Experimentation and patience will be the only way to make the fondant you want.

Michele

chocolatestone Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 7:57pm
post #70 of 126

Thanks Michele for a wonderful recipe. Its a dream to work with and tastes so good. You know its good when kids cants stop eating it. I have been using the older recipe that calls for 3 tbs. Never rxperienced any problems. If I change to 2 tbs what difference could I expect

Sugarflowers Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:55am
post #71 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatestone

Thanks Michele for a wonderful recipe. Its a dream to work with and tastes so good. You know its good when kids cants stop eating it. I have been using the older recipe that calls for 3 tbs. Never rxperienced any problems. If I change to 2 tbs what difference could I expect




If your corn syrup is watery then your fondant will probably be too soft. Gelatin isn't that expensive, I'd stick with 3 Tbsps. If you use straight glucose then 2 Tbsps of gelatin should be fine.

HTH

Michele

Marianna46 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:45am
post #72 of 126

I don't know how I missed seeing this thread when it first came out. It has a lot of helpful information in it, and I just wanted to thank you, Michele, for that and the recipes themselves. I've always used the original one, and I love it. I don't always make fondant from scratch (although I'll probably be doing it more often because the one and only distributor of fondant here in Mexico just gratuitously jacked up the price by about 35%), but when I do, I always use your recipe. In spite of the fact that it's hot and humid where I live, it works like a charm!

Sugarflowers Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:28am
post #73 of 126

Thank you Marianna.

Michele

luckyblueeye Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #74 of 126

I just wanted to post a Thank You to Michele for generously sharing her recipe with everyone. I'm totally new...to everything. I've made the basic MMF recipe a few times and wanted to try something different today. The taste was excellent! The fondant is still wrapped up and resting...can't wait to try it tomorrow.
1 question: it took about an hour for the mix to cool down to lukewarm (I had to look it up, didn't trust my hands)...I let it cool down to 105 F. Can this be done faster with ice against the outside of the measuring cup, put it in the fridge etc or will it affect the end result?
Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:21am
post #75 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyblueeye

I just wanted to post a Thank You to Michele for generously sharing her recipe with everyone. I'm totally new...to everything. I've made the basic MMF recipe a few times and wanted to try something different today. The taste was excellent! The fondant is still wrapped up and resting...can't wait to try it tomorrow.
1 question: it took about an hour for the mix to cool down to lukewarm (I had to look it up, didn't trust my hands)...I let it cool down to 105 F. Can this be done faster with ice against the outside of the measuring cup, put it in the fridge etc or will it affect the end result?
Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif




This will sound kind of crazy, but I have never really timed how long it takes to cool. If I plan to use it the next day I will bake my cakes and do a variety of other things while it sits. I stop by from time to time to stir it. There are times that I completely forget about it. If it's late in the day I cover it and put it in the fridge. The next day I warm it in the microwave, usually 2 minutes on high then 30 second intervals until warm and smooth.

If you use an ice bath, stir constantly. The sides could gel too quickly and will need to be warmed again. If you use the fridge then stir it often. The time will depend on the temperature of your refrigerator.

I'm sorry I'm not much help. I'm really not all that conventional when I cook. I play almost every thing by ear, or rather by look and smell. icon_smile.gifMost of the time a recipe is just an idea of something to make using what I have.

I hope you have happy caking. icon_smile.gif
Michel

Marianna46 Posted 16 May 2011 , 5:54am
post #76 of 126

Yeah, Michel, which is what makes you the genius you are. I can't thank you enough for that recipe either. It's my go-to for home-made fondant!

luckyblueeye Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:50pm
post #77 of 126

Michele, I just covered my 1st cake in fondant, your recipe! It worked out so wonderfully! I had to add more PS and some tylose when I made the decorations, but as far as covering a cake (by a total rookie) your recipe made it very easy!! Thanks a million icon_biggrin.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 17 May 2011 , 12:31am
post #78 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyblueeye

Michele, I just covered my 1st cake in fondant, your recipe! It worked out so wonderfully! I had to add more PS and some tylose when I made the decorations, but as far as covering a cake (by a total rookie) your recipe made it very easy!! Thanks a million icon_biggrin.gif





That is so great to hear. I get so many complaints from some who might not have followed the directions that a comment like yours makes all the difference.

Thank you very much.

Michele

redpointgirl Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:01am
post #79 of 126

hi! i live in the philippines. i just tried michele foster's fondant recipe for the first time. i followed the recipe exactly, substituting the butter for shortening. the fondant prouct came out like a dream! really yummy!

I excitedly covered my cake board and cake with it. the fondant was so easy to work with. it was the perfect consistency for rolling out and smoothing. i had no problems with air pockets, unlike other recipes.

however, after leaving the board and cake on the counter top for a few hours, i noticed that both of them started getting really shiny and wet. it was a rainy day so i don't know whether that affected the fondant.

Michele, how do i troubleshoot this? thanks!

milkmaid42 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:09am
post #80 of 126

Michele, I have to add my thanks to all the others who appreciate your sharing your marvelous recipe. I have used your recipe for the last couple of years and have never had it fail.
So many people who previously thought they hated fondant now request it instead of buttercream. (The favorite flavor seems to be white chocolate with Lorann's cheesecake flavoring.)
Every time I deliver a fondant cake I explain that the fondant is homemade, (not to be confused with the nasty store-bought they might be familiar with) and suggest they give it a try before pulling it off. That is generally all it takes and I have repeat requests for it.
Thank you so much for a never-fail favorite.

(Incidentally, I use The Mat when rolling and it is positively a breeze!)

Jan

kmstreepey Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:33am
post #81 of 126

I haven't tried your recipe yet, Michel, but I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. I have some glycerin from the skin-care section of the store but had read somewhere else that to ensure safety, the bottle needs to say "food safe." Mine does not, but it doesn't have the bad smell that you described. Is it okay to use this one or do I need to buy "food safe" labelled glycerin? The only one I can find with that label is the Wilton's (expensive) or online (inexpensive but not as convenient). I would love to be able to use the one I already have! Incidentally, I used it for making homemade bubble solution for my kids, so I didn't have food safety in mind at all when I bought it. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this!

kmstreepey Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:33am
post #82 of 126

Sorry for the typo in your name! I meant "Michele". Thanks!

Sugarflowers Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:14am
post #83 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointgirl

hi! i live in the philippines. i just tried michele foster's fondant recipe for the first time. i followed the recipe exactly, substituting the butter for shortening. the fondant prouct came out like a dream! really yummy!

I excitedly covered my cake board and cake with it. the fondant was so easy to work with. it was the perfect consistency for rolling out and smoothing. i had no problems with air pockets, unlike other recipes.

however, after leaving the board and cake on the counter top for a few hours, i noticed that both of them started getting really shiny and wet. it was a rainy day so i don't know whether that affected the fondant.

Michele, how do i troubleshoot this? thanks!





It sounds like you have a severe humidity problem. Do you have a place to allow things to dry that has low humidity? If you can, you might want to try a room dehumidifier. I got one on Amazon.com for about $40. It works really well. I use the water from the small catch cup to water plants.
As the boards dry, be sure to check for shrinkage. If it's still slightly soft then you can gently rub the fondant with your hand in a circular motion to push the fondant back to the edge. It's it's too late, then pipe a tiny decorative border to cover the edge. It looks cool and no one will know that it wasn't intentional. icon_smile.gif
I'm so glad you like the recipe. It took a lot of trial and error to finally come up with a fondant recipe that I liked. I still tweak it from time to time based on the quality of ingredients that I can get and the current weather conditions. I also like to play with the flavors and colors. Some work, some don't.

HTH

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:15am
post #84 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

Michele, I have to add my thanks to all the others who appreciate your sharing your marvelous recipe. I have used your recipe for the last couple of years and have never had it fail.
So many people who previously thought they hated fondant now request it instead of buttercream. (The favorite flavor seems to be white chocolate with Lorann's cheesecake flavoring.)
Every time I deliver a fondant cake I explain that the fondant is homemade, (not to be confused with the nasty store-bought they might be familiar with) and suggest they give it a try before pulling it off. That is generally all it takes and I have repeat requests for it.
Thank you so much for a never-fail favorite.

(Incidentally, I use The Mat when rolling and it is positively a breeze!)

Jan




Thank you so much. I'm very glad the recipe has worked out well for you.

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:23am
post #85 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmstreepey

I haven't tried your recipe yet, Michel, but I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. I have some glycerin from the skin-care section of the store but had read somewhere else that to ensure safety, the bottle needs to say "food safe." Mine does not, but it doesn't have the bad smell that you described. Is it okay to use this one or do I need to buy "food safe" labelled glycerin? The only one I can find with that label is the Wilton's (expensive) or online (inexpensive but not as convenient). I would love to be able to use the one I already have! Incidentally, I used it for making homemade bubble solution for my kids, so I didn't have food safety in mind at all when I bought it. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this!




I use the glycerin from the health food store. It's much less expensive and comes in a larger bottle. It is the vegetable based glycerin that is used for making soap, make-up and many other products. Twinkies don't say they are food safe. I say that's a judgement call. icon_lol.gif
The petroleum based glycerin is not available to the general public. A special permit must be obtained to get it. It smells BAD. There is no mistaking vegetable glycerin from petroleum based glycerin. The stuff you have will work just fine. If it gets too old and smells like soap, then chuck it in the trash.

I hope you like the fondant.

Michele

p.s. My joke about the Twinkies is just a joke. Please don't make it more than that - a joke.

redpointgirl Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:10am
post #86 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointgirl

hi! i live in the philippines. i just tried michele foster's fondant recipe for the first time. i followed the recipe exactly, substituting the butter for shortening. the fondant prouct came out like a dream! really yummy!

I excitedly covered my cake board and cake with it. the fondant was so easy to work with. it was the perfect consistency for rolling out and smoothing. i had no problems with air pockets, unlike other recipes.

however, after leaving the board and cake on the counter top for a few hours, i noticed that both of them started getting really shiny and wet. it was a rainy day so i don't know whether that affected the fondant.

Michele, how do i troubleshoot this? thanks!




It sounds like you have a severe humidity problem. Do you have a place to allow things to dry that has low humidity? If you can, you might want to try a room dehumidifier. I got one on Amazon.com for about $40. It works really well. I use the water from the small catch cup to water plants.
As the boards dry, be sure to check for shrinkage. If it's still slightly soft then you can gently rub the fondant with your hand in a circular motion to push the fondant back to the edge. It's it's too late, then pipe a tiny decorative border to cover the edge. It looks cool and no one will know that it wasn't intentional. icon_smile.gif
I'm so glad you like the recipe. It took a lot of trial and error to finally come up with a fondant recipe that I liked. I still tweak it from time to time based on the quality of ingredients that I can get and the current weather conditions. I also like to play with the flavors and colors. Some work, some don't.

HTH

Michele




thank you so much michele! super love your fondant, just hope that the humidity eases up over here so that the cake and board can dry up properly. i've stored them both in my oven with tons of dehumidifiers and sachets of silicone (positioned safely away from the cake) to absorb the moisture.... crossing my fingers and hoping for the best! let you know how it turns out

best,
redpointgirl

kmstreepey Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:52pm
post #87 of 126

Thank you, Michele! And I agree about the twinkies! icon_smile.gif

gebster Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 9:27pm
post #88 of 126

Im attempting this recipe for the second time and Im hoping it goes better than the first. I have no doubt that I was careless the first time around and did something wrong based on all the reviews.

I have it wrapped up tightly on the counter now and will check it in 6-8 hours to see if it worked. I followed the directions to a T; measuring precisely, waiting for the mix to cool to luke warm before adding it to the PS, etc.

While I was kneading it, I noticed that it stayed rather sticky but it looked dry to the point that it was almost tearing (fingers crossed that later/tomorrow this has fixed itself). But I seem to have this issue with every fondant I make. No amount of PS added seems to help its tackiness but the more I add, the less pliable and cohesive it becomes. Ive tried added more glycerin but that just increases its stickiness.

The humidity in my home is consistently about 50% and the temp is about 75 degrees. Any thoughts on what might be happening or suggestions? I think Im going to invest in a dehumidifier but that wont help with the cake Im making this weekend

And thanks Michele for posting all of the tips!
thumbs_up.gif

Marianna46 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 11:28pm
post #89 of 126

I have that same problem, gebster, mostly because of the high humidity where I live. I find that putting a couple of teaspoons of shortening for each pound of fondant along with a little extra powdered sugar helps to eliminate this. Powdered sugar alone wasn't taking care of the problem, and you can only add so much before the fondant gets crumbly. You might try that with just a little bit of fondant (before doing it on a large scale - if it doesn't work for you, I'd hate to be responsible for ruining a whole batch of your fondant!). Here's hoping this helps!

Sugarflowers Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 11:30pm
post #90 of 126

It's never going look perfect when freshly made. Just knead it enough to not be sticky on the surface. You should have about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of powdered sugar left in a 2-pound bag. I always. Keep a plastic container for the excess powdered sugar. It's then easy to use for sprinkling onto just about anything with a small strainer, including fondant.

If you think the humidity is causing you problems then try adding some tylose to the powdered sugar in which the liquid is added. It must be thoroughly mixed into the powdered sugar to prevent lumps. This will definitely fix fondant that is consistenly too soft. Start with one to two teaspoons of tylose and adjust from there.

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%