Cake Balls (A/k/a Cake Truffles)...

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 12:15am by CakeandDazzle

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #1 of 4

I have read thread after thread on cake balls on CC. Couldn't find anything for my particular problem: family loves my carrot cake truffles (they like that name better than cake balls), but didn't like them dipped in white chocolate or wilton melts. Other efforts to coat the truffles didn't work or they didn't like them, said they were too sweet.

Finally, today I found a solution: I used store bought cream cheese frosting and added confectioners sugar until it was a very stiff frosting. Then put it in a plastic squeeze bottle and microwaved it until it melted. Then applied it across the tops of the cake balls like you would do on candies. The frosting dried and gives just a little touch of sweet to the carrot cake truffles and actually makes them look more like truffles.

Here is a photo of what they look like:
LL

3 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 4

mmmm.... sounds yummy! My family doesn't like any other cake balls except carrot cake!! Thanks! I'm going to try this..

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks. I distributed several dozen to different people and the consensus was that they really loved them. Several people commented on the fact that it wasn't really sweet. Just a touch of the cream cheese flavor. One lady told me they looked like a piece of candy you get out of the fancy candy boxes and immediately wanted to know what I would charge to make some for her! Time to cost them out and decide on a price.

The next ones I am going to make is my take on a Colette Peters chocolate cake recipe where I substitute Godiva Choc Liq, or Bailey's Irish Cream for the bourbon. I think I will dip them in choc ganache that has Godiva or Bailey's in it as well. Makes me drool to think about all that chocolate...

Let me know what your family thinks about them, I'd love to know.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 4

wow! great idea! think i am going to have too try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%