People Who Have Used Sam's Club Icing, Please Read! :)

Decorating By mavreader Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 1:27pm by brandiwyne

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 21

Hello Everyone, I recently purchased the big ol' tub of Bet-r-cream Frosting from Sam's Club. What have you guys done to it? Like, when I use it, the frosting is wayy too sweet, leaving the whole cake left uneaten. After a few days, the frosting looks very moist and wet like it is sweating grease. Piping with it gets hard because it soft.....what have you guys done with it to make it work for you? Please help icon_smile.gif

20 replies
shellycakes123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellycakes123 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 21

i didnt know they sold buttercream...is it gross?
I would love to try it...

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #3 of 21

I've only used it for demonstrations, I've never eaten it. I volunteer at a local High School every year to teach a cake decorating lesson to their Foods classes. They provide the cakes and buttercream, and they always get the Sam/Costco kind. Unless they've changed it, I've never had any problems icing/piping with it. Maybe they've changed it or else maybe you got a bad batch... As for the taste, I've never tasted it, but the high schoolers sure seem to like it... icon_smile.gif

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:16am
post #4 of 21

I bought the big tub of the whipped better cream from Sam's. You can add flavorings to it to change the taste. Do you think it is sweeter than regular buttercream? I think it is sweet but not as sweet as buttercream. I also use it as a filling in my cakes. There is a thread on here about different cakes and fillings and they use a lot of the better cream in their fillings. I made a strawberries & cream filling with it and a white chocolate filling using cream cheese and white chocolate pudding and the better cream. It got rave reviews. I also made a chocolate filling with it. I have never had mine look greasy but there is usually none left over and the extra icing I keep in the fridge but not the huge tub. That I keep in the freezer. I like to use it when I make ice cream cakes because I don't think it is a sweet as buttercream on them. More like whipped cream.

gailjoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailjoe Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:17am
post #5 of 21

i've purchased several buckets of the buttercream in both vanilla and chocolate, tasted good and held up good, never had a problem with it, maybe you should take it back, there might be something wrong with it.
gailjoe

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:23am
post #6 of 21

Hi all, yes I have bought a tub from Sam's and I agree it is very sweet but it saved me alot of time and fuss when I made 25 3 tiered mini heart shaped wedding cakes for my sister's bridal shower. Since I had never used fondant before then I was able to spend more time just messing with the fondant. I thickened it by adding PS, and then it piped nicely. If I had another big job I would buy another one.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #7 of 21

When "professional bakers" make cakes, do they substitute taste for ease of doing the job? I have eaten the marshmellowy frosting at Walmart and it is extremely gross. Maybe this is why my kids no longer want bakery cakes, they only want cakes from their Nanna. icon_wink.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:39am
post #8 of 21

When I worked for Sam's, occasionally there would be a bucket of shotty icing. We'd stir it up to incorporate the separated liquid and use it on cupcakes...the warmer the weather, the more frequent the buckets would be...but there were never more than 1 a week and we went through DOZENS AND DOZENS each week.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #9 of 21

Yeah...I have a post on here about my bad experience with the Sams buttercream and how it made my husband and me sick. I think too that it is WAY too sweet and I have messed with it by adding flavors to it and it still s*cked.

in2cakes2 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #10 of 21

I am very sorry if I offended anyone. I am nowhere near a pro. I have tried Walmart frosting a think it is gross, but the Sam's frosting was really good. I guess to a pro that sounds stupid so once again sorry.

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #11 of 21

I bought a gallon of Sam's bettercreme & buttercream & I had no problem with it. It save me a lot of time.I was able to pipe & do decoration with it with no problem @ at.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #12 of 21

I've used it and never had any problems. It's a little softer and can be hard for piping when you need a really stiff icing, but pop it in the fridge for a few minutes and it works.

I'm betting you got a bad batch. I thought it was actually pretty tasty (especially on graham crackers!) and not super-sweet like I was expecting. It lasted a great long time in my pantry without souring or turning color or separating.

madgeowens Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #13 of 21

[code:1:1ed562766b]in2cakes2, I don't think you offended anyone, I may have however with my question. I don't think we are that thin skinned, don't sweat the small stuff. I guess the best judge of anyones cake is if they eat it and come back for more! thumbs_up.gif [/code:1:1ed562766b]

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #14 of 21

I'm with newmansmom--I use it all the time and have never had a problem. You are talking about the kind that you have to ask the bakery for right? there is some other icing that I have heard people talk about that you buy in the freezer section. Is that it?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:00am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

I am very sorry if I offended anyone. I am nowhere near a pro. I have tried Walmart frosting a think it is gross, but the Sam's frosting was really good. I guess to a pro that sounds stupid so once again sorry.

Hey, in2cakes2, don't worry about mentioning you used it for a big project... there are plenty of people on here who use Sam's buttercream in a bucket.

The printed word can come off sounding harsher than if it were said in a general conversation around the bunco table. icon_wink.gif

edited to add that I don't think your question was offensive either, Madge... it's just hard, sometimes, to pose a question in print... icon_lol.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:17am
post #16 of 21

I use the Sam's club icing. On my second tub now. I think it's great. I could never get my own icing to come out right. This comes out perfect and really responds well to Sugarshack's smoothing techniques.

I don't do a lot of piping, been doing too many fondant cakes, so I'm not sure how it works for that. I did practice my basket weave last week and it worked out quite well.

in2cakes2 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:42am
post #17 of 21

I understand where Madge is coming from as I said I am not a pro I've always baked for friends and family and always from scratch using only real butter no shortning no mixes. Well when my sister asked if I would make a shower cake I think I got a lil too big for my breaches and bit off more than I could chew and was very thankful to find Sam's frosting that not only tasted good but was easy to work with and in a large quantity. Everyone loved the cakes but I wish I had found this web site then, just the wealth if knowledge here is amazing!! Oh the questions I had. Anyways, BIG thanks!

madgeowens Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:23am
post #18 of 21

Well, I can't really judge the Sams club frosting if its different than the Super Walmart bakery. You can get so much information in here its great. I only bake for my family, but I love to bake, I just wish it didnt make everyone paranoid of gaining weight hehehe.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:36am
post #19 of 21

I really wish it had worked out for me. I am just left with a big ole tub of yuck and so afraid to get another one. I know there is a chance that I got a bad one, but what if I didn't and what if it just sux to me? UGGGHHHH! I guess I will just stick to making it...I got a big ole tub to put my homemade frosting in though LOL

madgeowens Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:02am
post #20 of 21

Well then its not a complete loss hahaha.... thumbs_up.gif

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:27pm
post #21 of 21

Just FYI Sams and Walmart use the same Icing...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%