Liquid Glucose???

Decorating By ampd11 Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 8:18am by mclaren

ampd11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ampd11 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I want to make a Sugar Paste Icing and the recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of "liquid glucose" - is this corn syrup? If it isn't any suggestions as where I would find this liquid?

Thanks, Anna Marie

4 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:16am
post #2 of 5

You can buy glucose from most cake supply places, but you can also use cornsyrup. I think it has just a tad less thickness than glucose, but it works.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 5

i've done some reading, and found out we can sub corn syrup for glucose, vice versa. they are not the same, but are derived from the same source (corn).

corn syrup is almost non existence where i live, so i used glucose instead of corn syrup when making MFF, and it worked well.

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:51am
post #4 of 5

I didn't know you could use corn syrup to substitute glucose. Glucose is on my list of things to buy, but now that I know you can use corn syrup, I'm concidering just using that instead to try making fondant. Is corn syrup better taste-wise? And since it's less thick, how do you make up for the consistency? Just add a little more powdered sugar? Or is there barely any difference?

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:18am
post #5 of 5

i don't know abt corn syrup, as it's not easily available here, but i do know glucose is very thick, not that easy to spoon out of the container. but it worked for MFF. so i guess, it may work for other needs too...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%