Graham Cracker Crust For Cheesecake

Decorating By SweetMelissa2007 Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 6:57am by sweetiesbykim

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 8

I make cheesecake for most of my family holidays and I love the taste of my graham cracker crust but sometimes it is very hard and you have to push the fork down super hard to get through it. I use graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and granulated sugar. I don't know amounts-I usually taste it to see if it tastes good. Am I using too much sugar or butter? I like the crust to not be too flaky so it falls apart when you fork it and for it to be somewhat sweet but not too sweet. Any Suggestions? icon_sad.gif

7 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 8

the recipe I use is

1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs (I interchange with cookie crumbs, depending on flavor)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 c melted butter
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)

comes out perfect every time

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:16am
post #3 of 8

That's the graham cracker crumb recipe I use too. I also love doing the same with Pecan Sandies cookies and with ginger snaps.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:29am
post #4 of 8

So do you bake it with the crust? Mine gets soggy, then I can't turn it out well and the crust crumbs are all over the place by the time it's on the cake plate. Does this hold up better? Do you press it in the pan pretty firmly?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:38am
post #5 of 8

You have to blind bake the crust, meaning you bake the crust first without the cheesecake batter in it.

Press the crust firmly into the bottom of your pan (I use regular cake pans with a buttered parchment liner on the bottom and a buttered parchment collar along the sides). I use a highball glass, which is heavy and has a large, flat base ~ perfect for smashing graham cracker crust. Then blind bake the crust for about 10 minutes. Let cool, pour cheesecake batter in, place in water bath, and bake. icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:44am
post #6 of 8

I used to use graham crackers for my cheesecake crust but ran out one day so I used crushed NFSC.....added some melted butter, a tablespoon of sugar and a pinch of salt. Pre- bake the crust for 6-8 minutes and DANG, was that an awesome crust.

Have never gone back to graham crackers since. HTH

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:54am
post #7 of 8

I use that basic recipe I listed up there for all my cheesecake crusts, subbing whatever crisp cookie that goes with the cheesecake. And I do what cakepro says and blind bake the crust first and bake my cheesecakes in a water bath. perfect crust and cheesecake with no cracks

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:57am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your directions, cakepro! I'll try that method. You guys are great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%