Cake Crust For Cheesecake ~ Anyone Ever Done This?

Decorating By Starkie Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm by Starkie

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 7

I am just starting out with cheesecakes, and I would like to try to have an actual cake "crust" under my cheesecake. Has anyone ever tried this? Do I need to modify my boxed cake recipe at all? Thanks!

<Starkie>

6 replies
teddybr218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddybr218 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 7

I have a recipe at home that the crust starts with a cake mix,it is from Duncan Hines older cookbook. I can look it up if you want,but it is a cross between a cookie and a cake. It is good and you can do all kinds of flavors.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 7

I've done this with just a thin layer cake. I put parchment paper in the bottom of the cake pan - then sprayed the sides (well) and the parchment (a little). I baked the cake as normal. While it cooled, I kinda smashed it back down. When it baked it pulled away from the sides. I made sure the cake layer filled the entire bottom of the pan and it was kinda packed down before I poured the cheesecake batter in on top. After baking the cheesecake (I used a water bath), I left it in the oven an hour, then cooled it at room temperature a couple hours then overnight in the fridge - still in the pan. The next day, with the cheesecake well chilled, I quickly turned the whole thing out onto a large enough (sturdy) board and then quicly turned it back onto the board I would decorate it on (cake-side down). Does that make sense? It worked great!!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 7

I have used toasted cake scraps instead of graham cracker crumbs - very good. I crumbled up and gently toasted cake trimmings and them crushed them after toasting. Added the butter and pressed into the springform pan as usual.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

I have used toasted cake scraps instead of graham cracker crumbs - very good. I crumbled up and gently toasted cake trimmings and them crushed them after toasting. Added the butter and pressed into the springform pan as usual.

that sounds fab!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 7

I make my cheesecakes on a sugar cookie. Sugar cookie dough in the pan, poke with a fork, bake for like 10-12 minutes - mostly cooked. Put the cheesecake batter on it, then bake it again... it's amazing.

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 7

Oooh, aligotmatt, the sugar cookie idea sounds GREAT! I think I will try that tonight and see how it goes. I will also have to look into the Duncan Hines recipes ~ maybe they will have that on their website?

Thanks everyone for your help!

<starkie>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%