How Did She Do This??? Incredible!!

Decorating By Ponygirl1 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 11:49am by ckckhome

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 19

I'm going to be helping my girlfriend make her daughter's Halloween Wedding cake this year and I fell in love with this "black fudge ooze"...does anyone know what she used..recipe, instructions, etc.?? We just have to have this on the cake, except it will be in red. Any info would be fantastic!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_78165.html

18 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 19

I don't know for sure but this looks like it could be a dark chocolate ganache or poured fondant? Not sure but how cool is that?!

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 19

I don't know for sure but this looks like it could be a dark chocolate ganache or poured fondant? Not sure but how cool is that?!

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 19

It looks like ganache to me.

I use 3/4 cup heavy cream and 2 T butter, heated to just before it boils. Then pour it over 8 oz of chocolate (usually a combo of dark and semi sweet). Let it sit for a couple of minutes then wisk until smoth and creamy.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 19

It's most likely ganache. Use red candy melts if you need it colored

StellaLuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StellaLuna Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:32am
post #6 of 19

I did something similar to this on a paint can cake. I used a royal icing recipe and thinned it out with water. It worked very well and dried rather quickly. The mixture was powder sugar, a little bit of milk and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract for flavoring. The amount varies depending on the consistency you are trying to obtain. I hope this helps.

Ponygirl1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:06am
post #7 of 19

Thank you all so very much! I have searched high and low and will try out each of your suggestions! If mine turns out even close to this I'll be a happy camper! thumbs_up.gif

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:05am
post #8 of 19

I used thinned royal icing because I wanted to do that same effect for the pumpkin cake I had made for halloween, but apparently I hadn't made it thin enough :/ oh well, next time I'll know how to do it better, right? You can only learn from your mistakes icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:30am
post #9 of 19

Melt chocolate and a little bit shortening together. I usually just eyeball the shortening and I keep adding until the chocolate thins down to a very liquidy consistency.

Then get your piping bag or just a ziploc and add the chocolate/shortening mixture. Cut a small hole off the ziploc and then pipe the chocolate on the top edges and it will ooze down. After you have done all the edges, pour chocolate mixture on top just enough to cover the empty spot in the middle. You can use your spatula to spread the chocolate mixture on top if necessary.

Hope that helps. I did a very similar cake last week.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:02am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

It looks like ganache to me.

I use 3/4 cup heavy cream and 2 T butter, heated to just before it boils. Then pour it over 8 oz of chocolate (usually a combo of dark and semi sweet). Let it sit for a couple of minutes then wisk until smoth and creamy.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:23am
post #11 of 19

You could try pm'ing the artist for exact instructions on how she did it. I've had that cake in my favorites folder for a long time. It is so cool. Good luck in your search!

Cris

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:29am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisseyann

You could try pm'ing the artist for exact instructions on how she did it. I've had that cake in my favorites folder for a long time. It is so cool. Good luck in your search!

Cris

Exactly, we can stop speculating,lol

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:44am
post #13 of 19

I wondered the same thing about why you didn't just email hollysu?
This is probably my favorite halloween wedding cake too.
Everyone on here is so wonderful, she would probably tell you how she did it too.

But then, please share with us!!

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #15 of 19

Oh my gosh..thank you all so very much for all your great advice and recipes for doing this ! This is going to be so much fun as well as nerve racking I'm sure..WooHoo !
I did pm hollysu yesterday, but I haven't heard back from her yet....Hope she's willing to divulge (sp?) her secret tapedshut.gif ...I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed ! thumbs_up.gif . Thanks again you guys, your all great !

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 19

Ooo, if she does please let us all know. I've also had that pic saved to my favs as something I'd like to do for my own wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

Ponygirl1 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #17 of 19

I'm sooooo hoping to hear back from her!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Ponygirl1 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:17am
post #18 of 19

Forgot to add:
I'm dedicated to doing this, sooooo...."that which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger"! I'm going for it..

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:49am
post #19 of 19

Thanks for the info and recipes you guys are the greatest icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%