Advice Pls...i'm Starting To Freak Out A Bit...long...

Decorating By lostincake Updated 5 May 2009 , 12:59am by xstitcher

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakery_chick

I used to use masonite boards because I like how thin and sturdy they are. I now frequently use just 3 reg boards glued together. I am liking it a little more because I can spike my center dowel all the way through the boards.

Hey bakery_chick,
I've seen a lot of people write about the center dowel. Where do you get them, how big are they and do they come with a "spike" on one end to go through all the layers of cake. Any probs going through the cardboard cake boards between layers?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:07pm
post #32 of 51

You sharpen the end of the center dowel so that you can hammer it into the cake and the boards (you need to cut it slightly shorter than the height of the entire cake so it is not visible. When you get close to having it all the way in (just a little showing on top) grab another dowel put it directly on top of the dowel going in and continue to hammer until the 1st one is all the way to the bottom. As for size so far I've just used the Wilton dowels I can pick up at Michaels.

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #33 of 51

Hey xstitcher,

Thanks for the reply. What do you use to sharpen the end? Does it just go through the cardboard between layers? The dowels I've gotten at Michaels were about 12" tall and skinny. Is this the same ones you got or did I just not see bigger ones? Maybe I can get them at Home Depot. icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #34 of 51

You can just use a sharp blade/knife to sharpen the dowel and yes it will go thru the cardboards or foamcore (whichever you decide to use). I just got the wooden dowels that are at Michaels I do know you can get larger ones (seen them on-line at cake supply stores) but have not needed them yet.
Here's a Wilton tutorial and you can see that the center dowel looks the same size as the dowels that are in the cake supporting the tiers.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

You can just use a sharp blade/knife to sharpen the dowel and yes it will go thru the cardboards or foamcore (whichever you decide to use). I just got the wooden dowels that are at Michaels I do know you can get larger ones (seen them on-line at cake supply stores) but have not needed them yet.
Here's a Wilton tutorial and you can see that the center dowel looks the same size as the dowels that are in the cake supporting the tiers.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

Thanks so much xstitcher! Pencil sharpener-great idea!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #36 of 51

Thanks to everyone for all your wonderful advice! My sis' friend has approved my 3 tier design so I went today to get the necessary supplies to stack my cake.

So I've got:
- one 7" cardboard round 1/8" thick for the top tier
- one 8" cardboard round 1/8" thick for the middle tier
- one 10" cardboard round 1/8" thick for the bottom tier to sit on
- three 14" cardboard rounds 1/8" thick which I plan to glue together and cover with parchment then fondant for the base
- wooden dowels for each tier for support
- bubble tea straws which I will use along with the dowels
- one center dowel to secure all tiers

And also thanks to xstitcher for her wonderful tips & advice on center dowels.

Wish me luck and I'll post my final cake when it's done - thanks again icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:25pm
post #37 of 51

One quick tip about the 3 cakeboards you're gluing together.

When you glue them, alternate the corrugated lines so that they are not all going in one direction, this will give you a stronger base for your cake.

Good luck!

lostincake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

One quick tip about the 3 cakeboards you're gluing together.

When you glue them, alternate the corrugated lines so that they are not all going in one direction, this will give you a stronger base for your cake.

Good luck!

Ahhh...brilliant! I love you guys lol! Thanks dkelly!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #39 of 51

Good luck with your cake!

xstitcher Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #40 of 51

Just wanted to add that if your going to cover the cake board with fondant you will not need the parchment underneath 1st. Great advice from dkelly, I totally forgot about that!

Good luck and please post your pic when your done. icon_smile.gif

lostincake Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:49pm
post #41 of 51

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the GREAT advice! The cake traveled great. I delivered it this morning and it did not budge, lean, shift or bulge or anything! So happy to have this forum to get great ideas from. Couldn't have done it without you guys!

Here is the finished cake...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1359022.html

Thanks again!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:02pm
post #42 of 51

WOW, it looks terrific!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #43 of 51

BEAUTIFUL! what an adorable cake!

xstitcher Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #44 of 51

What a great look cake, love your design and the various shades of pink! Glad to hear everything worked out so well for you. icon_smile.gif

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:31pm
post #45 of 51

vlin28

Your cake is beautiful!! You should get tons of orders from this cake. I'm so glad that everything went so well for you!

icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #46 of 51

Oh my SHOCKENESS! that is such a beautiful cake. I totally love what you did with the cake board. Oh my this is such an amazing cake! I will dream about this tonight. I bet ya.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:42pm
post #47 of 51

The cake is a knock-out!!

lostincake Posted 2 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #48 of 51

Thanks everyone! I was so excited to do this cake and it worked out better than I ever imagined. You guys gave me the confidence to see this through so thanks again and thanks for the awesome compliments!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 3 May 2009 , 10:04am
post #49 of 51

absolutly gorgeous!! congrats, its really perfect icon_smile.gif

kakealicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakealicious Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #50 of 51

Try this video:

She is great for anything you need and she always answers your questions! I subscribe to her web videos. Good luck!

xstitcher Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:59am
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by destasio

Try this video:

She is great for anything you need and she always answers your questions! I subscribe to her web videos. Good luck!

Edna's the best.

Very generous with her time and talent! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%