What Do You Charge For Sheet Cakes...............

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm by lordbuffington

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 21

I was wondering what the going rates are for sheet cakes. I know that a home baker cannot compete with the grocery stores/wal mart. Here are my prices. Are they resonable? Cakes have borders, basic roses(butter cream) and writing.
1/4- 9/13= $25.00

1/3- 11x15= $35.00

1/2- 12x18= $50.00

2/3- 22x15 = $65.00

full- 24/18= $100.00

am I right or way off. I'm tired of hearing people complain about my prices. I know that you can get a 1/2 sheet from Food lion for $24.99. If thats what u want ,why are you wasting my time. Sorry, but I can't do this cake thingy for nothing. I hate having to explain my prices. Do you have this problem.

Sorry so long,
Stephanie

20 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 21

Most people have this same problem. First of all, you shouldn't even try to compete with the grocery stores. If you start to ship in your cakes pre-baked and frozen, top with icing you got from a pre-made 5-gallon bucket, and write like you just had a seizure while doing so....then you should charge what the grocery stores do.

I think your prices are spot on for basic designs. JMO

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 21

of course, every area of the world is different for pricing but I think it is a little low. My basic sheets are a few dollars more but they only include writing and a border. You are doing buttercream flowers which can take time. If have never had anyone complain about my prices and I still think I don't charge enough

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 21

I know what you mean about people thinking you are too high...what do they expect when we offer much better tasting, and looking cakes. We do them to order, so they aren't just laying around waiting for someone to say"Hey, throw some writing on that one for me".
I'm in South Carolina, and I charge right around there. It's hard for me b/c this is a huge military town, and they don't like to shell out much money. The 3D cakes is what the military prefers, but they are so much more time consuming. And even still, I can't price them as high as a lot of people on here, or I wouldn't have ANY businessicon_smile.gif
When you explain your prices, let them know how much time and effort it takes you, and that you don't have the ability to mass produce roses and such, like the grocery stores do.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 21

$3.50 per serving, Wilton wedding serving chart.

So a 12 x 18" sheet is $343.00.

For that they get two full 12 x 18" cakes baked and stacked on top of each other, with a layer of filling, so the whole cake iced is about 4-1/2" tall. I don't do many except with large wedding orders where they want some extra cake for a (little) cheaper price,

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Most people have this same problem. First of all, you shouldn't even try to compete with the grocery stores. If you start to ship in your cakes pre-baked and frozen, top with icing you got from a pre-made 5-gallon bucket, and write like you just had a seizure while doing so....then you should charge what the grocery stores do.

lol...this cracks me up!!
I just don't make them...I dont even have the pans.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 21

Hey Stephanie,

I am in NC too. Not sure what area you are in but I am in a small town and your prices are really close to mine. I do 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full. But they are really really close.

You can PM me and we can talk prices if you want.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 21

I bake in my home kitchen in Arkansas. I have never tried to compete with any bakery or Sam's prices. Why try? I'd be giving cakes away.

My charges are:

$40 = single layer 9x13 (not torted) or 2 layer 8"round or single layer 12" round or character cake or 24 cupcakes (1M swirl)

$70 = single layer 12x18 (not torted) or 2 layer 12"round or 2 layer 10"square

$2.50 - $2.75 per serving (wilton chart) all buttercream torted tiered wedding cake

I don't do fondant ...ever....well, not yet, anyway.

I have raised my prices a little a couple of times in the past few years due to the economy. Not one of my clients has ever complained about the money. They know they can get a LOT more cake for less money at a grocery store or Sam's, but they keep coming back to me. Several clients have told me that they were former customers of a couple of local bakeries, but that the cake was usually dry or unremarkable in taste. After they tasted my cake, they never went back to the bakery. Neither would I if the cake was not good.

I use box mixes with "secret additions" icon_wink.gif and crisco-based buttercream.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 21

I am laughing so hard because as soon as I saw food lion I figured you were in NC. icon_smile.gif When I was there I charged about the same thing except I charged 60 for a full sheet. Go figure but anyway, I agree with what a previous poster said about it being a little low. It depends on what type of decorations that you are doing on your sheet cakes. Are you offering something that they can't get from the grocery store? I used to have only one complainer of my cakes but I blew her off because she kept coming back. I don't think that you are wrong about being fed up about it. It is people wanting something for nothing. In fact I think that your 1/4 sheet should be at least 30. This is what I charge for sheet cakes and sometimes I feel that I am a little too low.
1/4- 40
1/2- 70
full sheet- 125
I don't even offer the inbetween sizes like you. Keep your head up. In fact if you compare your cakes with the grocery stores do you get at least a half inch of icing and an inch of cake? I think not. Does your cake show through on the side? of course not. Is your writing neater that a grocery store? of course it is. But anyway I hope that you get the point. Don't back down on your prices and let your work stand for itself. I know that this was long sorry icon_sad.gif

pitagory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pitagory Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:36am
post #10 of 21

how much more would you charge if you added a frosting sheet I'm pretty new to this but I have only done cakes for family but I have been asked how much would I do a 1/2 sheet cake with a picture on it.
and I live in Palm Springs California I do have the supplys for the edible image aready

cakeandpartygirl Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #11 of 21

Frosting sheets are included in my price if they want one.

pitagory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pitagory Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:52am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Frosting sheets are included in my price if they want one.

thank you cakeandparygirl that helps to know icon_biggrin.gif
I am taking my course 2 wilton class and I love this cake decorating stuff I just wish I would have started sooner

tannersmom Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 21

Thanks for all the help! The only thing, if I charge any more than my current prices. I'll run myself out of business. Where I live, when it comes to money, people(not all people) want something for nothing. iI'm glad that I'm comparable with other NC bakers

Thanks
Stephanie

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 21

Not to hijack, but how much for a fondant covered sheet cake then?12x18, very basic design.. I did one (or actually, 3 identical) for my ds's preschool grad last year, & they called and asked me to do it again this year, and emphasized that they wanted to make it worth my while (I did it for cost last year). I will try to attach the pic, but it is the horse/carousel ouline in my pics..
LL

cakeandpartygirl Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:41pm
post #15 of 21

That is a good question. I must say that I have never gotten an order but if so I would charge at least 90.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I think your prices are spot on for basic designs. JMO

ROTFLMBO!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #17 of 21

I charge per serving same as for everything else, except if its a plainly iced one underneath a shaped cake I will cut the cost of the plainly iced part.

I don't want to have a sheet cake business, so it isn't real cost effective to buy a sheet cake from me, but it can be done. haha.

Re. the fondant...same per serving as a fondant round cake....doesn't seem to make sense that a fondant covered sheet cake should be cheaper than a two tier fondant covered round cake, just because its a sheet cake. haha.

tannersmom Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:05am
post #18 of 21

I was thinking about $80.00 for the cake. I guess it depends where you live too. So, sheet cakes should be priced the same as other cakes. I could see that if they had as much time and details as a stacked cake. IMO I'm just wondering if this is how it goes. Where I live, it would never work.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

I was thinking about $80.00 for the cake. I guess it depends where you live too. So, sheet cakes should be priced the same as other cakes. I could see that if they had as much time and details as a stacked cake. IMO I'm just wondering if this is how it goes. Where I live, it would never work.

I don't really thing so....I mean, if you make a two tiered stacked cake with buttercream, border, and some roses...or if you make a sheet cake with buttercream, border, and some roses...the only extra thing you are doing with the stacked is...well...stacking it! About the same amount of icing I think really....and the same amount of cake....same amount of baking time....so really why should a sheet cake be cheaper? People think it should be...but really I don't see it as much different. Actually if I give a quote, I will go by servings and design no matter what, and give people a choice of one tier or two or sheet and of course they pick tier...which is fine with me because it looks better and its not that much more work...and more compact for boxing and travel, too.

suzannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannette Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #20 of 21

after reading this thread i think i must be crazy for my prices...i am comparable to the grocery stores prices and feel i am doing ok with them..i have gone up on my prices a couple of times over the last couple of years...but my prices still seem to be about 1/2 what everyone else is charging...i do mostly sheet cakes because i actually like them but will do other stuff if requested and i feel i can. it is hard for me to figure out the pricing on other stuff

lordbuffington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lordbuffington Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #21 of 21

I am pretty new to caking, but am in sales for my "real job". Don't budge on your prices! When people try to get a deal with me, I stand firm. I don't get commission of any type, so I feel that our prices are fair and competitive. The only people we give discounts to are people who continually order and are good clients - not troublemakers! I think that this can be applied to cakes as well. Once I had a client tell me that she didn't understand why it was so expensive (the item in question was $36) and I replied that she didn't have to order. She left, didn't order, and I'm still alive and employed!

Once I get mad caking skills, I will price accordingly and STAND FIRM. You definitely deserve to be compensated for your cakes - most people don't want to take the time or have the talent to do it themselves.

Andrea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%