Veiners And Gp Flowers

Decorating By ngfcake Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 9:10am by ngfcake

ngfcake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 21

I'm new to GP flowers and I was looking at the vast amount of veiners in the market.

Is there any kind of general veiner? Or a set of "must have" veiners that are used for more than one flower/leaf?

What do you do?

20 replies
luvsfreebies72 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 21

I'm interested to know, too. I start my gumpaste flowers class tomorrow night. woot woot!

brincess_b Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 21

i have a general leaf veiner, and as far as im concerned, that will do all my leaves! im not too worried about absolute accuracy, if theres a few lines, that will do me. i know a lot of people have bother getting a veiner to match the cutter, then trying to get your leaf on the right lines.
flower veiners i havent bothered with, im using a dresden tool (and a pallet knife before i had that) for the lines there are, but then again the ones ive done dont have much in the way of veining.

so basically, comes down to how bothered your are about realism, and what flowers you are actually doing.

ngfcake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 21

Thank you, brincess_b. It's a great idea to use the dresden tool for that.

What is the general leaf veiner you have?

gerripje Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 21

I have the Wilton gum paste flower kit that has one in it and FMM set #2, (i think). That's all I use and works for me. It's very expensive to order lots of different ones and I will probably eventually add more as time goes on, but for now these are plenty!

Marianna46 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 21

Sorry, y'all, but I'm stumped -- what's a dresden tool? icon_redface.gif TIA!

Justbeck101 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 21

You can use corn husks for some also.

Tona Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 21

They do have a general leaf veiner. But also veiners for most of the flowers you make. I have several veiners it makes it quick and it helps the flowers look more real. Good luck

ngfcake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 21

gerripje, I've searched the fmm mats on line and they seem like a great option! Thank you.

Justbeck101: That's a great idea!!!!

Tona, do you know the brand of the general leaf veiner?

Thank you all

brincess_b Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 21

here is a dresden tool

i have this leaf veiner Cake Art Twin Leaf Veiners
Multi-Purpose medium, made by Culpitt from this page, its 13th down, a blue one, although i dont know if ud get them in the USA.

if i was doing something making a lot of a specific leaf, or flower with strong veins, id invest int he proper one, but just now, im not that bothered!

ngfcake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #12 of 21

Thank you brincess_b, I'm actually in the UK, so I can get it easily.

brincess_b Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 21

cool icon_smile.gif glad to be of help icon_smile.gif that is a really good store, they have a great rep. website isnt the easiest to get around, but its usually worth it - call them if you have any questions and they are great.

AuntEm Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 21

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rose petal veiner?

jlynnw Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:53pm
post #15 of 21

I have the CK rose petal veiner and love it. I have also used the crease in my hand, the life line just below the pinkie. The fondant picks up a lot of the details.

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:07pm
post #16 of 21
Originally Posted by AuntEm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rose petal veiner?

I love the one from First impressions
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #17 of 21
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Sorry, y'all, but I'm stumped -- what's a dresden tool? icon_redface.gif TIA!

Is a tool almost like a pencil that leaves an impression on the fondant that makes flowers look realistic. I know there a few companies that sells them. Including Michelle fosters.
Some are in wood, some are in plastic.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ngfcake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #18 of 21

THank you for your replies. I'm really excited about starting making GP flowers icon_biggrin.gif

Marianna46 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:05am
post #19 of 21

Thanks for the enlightenment, Nahieli, Edna and brincess_b. I'm happy to say I actually have one of these things, I just don't know the names of any of the tools in my gumpaste flower kit. Also, the corn husk idea sounds pretty nifty, justbeck101.

Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:53am
post #20 of 21

Jennifer Dontz sells an awesome all-purpose 2-pc "Multi-Purpose Leaf Veiner."

In the beginning, I used the silk veining tool and Dresden tool a lot but as I've progressed, I've ended up buying all kinds of veiners, mostly First Impressions molds. The Rose Floramat rocks.

Silk veining tool (no gumpaste toolkit should ever be without one):

Dresden tool (another must-have):

ngfcake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:10am
post #21 of 21

Thank you very much CakePro! I have the Dresden tool and I will definitively buy the silk veiner tool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%