Getting Fondant Balls/dots To Stay Put On Wire?

Decorating By allie73 Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 6:33am by Cakepro

allie73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 8

I have tried threading little balls or dots of fondant onto wire like I see on so many darling cakes on CC. However, except for the ones perched on the very ends of the wire, once mine start to dry, the slip down the wire and all end up piled on top of each other. How do I get them to stay put where *I* want them to be?

Thanks a bunch!

7 replies
kbak37 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 8

I have heard that if you mix fondant with a little Tylose..and Im not sure about this one..I think it came from Michele Foster...if you take a heavier gauge wire and bend one end over ( so it looks like a cane) and heat the end with a lighter, put it in the ball then let it sit overnight it wont go anywhere. I am amsuming because the sugar melts then when it cools it is hard preventing the ball or whatever it is to stay put.

lorrieg Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 8

I've been letting the balls dry and then pushing the wires into them carefully when they are dry enough. You can also use a dab of melted chocolate to hold them in place.

jenmat Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 8

I dip the wire in egg white. Then just give it a tiny squeeze or roll it on the counter to get it to adhere.

SweetStuff30 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 8

This never fails... make the balls... light a candle or lighter... put the end of the wire in the flame untill its nice and red.. then side the ball on and it will make a little bit of smoke and the sugar will harden right up around the wire and stick to it perfectly. WARNING..... make sure that u DO NOT push the wire too far so that it pokes through and hits your fingers.. cuz it HURTS and u will have melted sugar and a wire in your finger LOL

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 8

Hey SweetStuff30, Can you do that in the middle of a piece of wire so that you can place more than one ball on one wire?

sweetcravings Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 8

Using the heated wire way..doesn't it get all that black stuff on the wire once heated? I know i've done this before with a sewing needle before i pop a blister, and once it heats to bright red..once cooled the needle is all black. Wouldn't you see that on the fondant too if you heated a wire similarily?

Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:33am
post #8 of 8

I use Superglue and have the customer initial the order form where it says CAKE TOPPER IS INEDIBLE!

However, if they do eat a fondant ball with superglue, it won't hurt them. Superglue isn't supposed to be eaten, obviously, but it is used in medicine and won't hurt anyone in small quantities.

If you do the hot wire trick, you can just wipe off the sooty black residue once the wire has cooled down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%