Does Anyone Know Of A Fruit Filling That Doen't Need Refrig

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm by Tona

sandy1 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 16

What do you use as a fruit filling for wedding cakes that need to be iced and decorated days in advance???? I need something that will definitely hold up for at least 4 days without refrigeration!! Help!!!!!! I looked in the recipe section of this site but non of the recipes state that the filling doesn't need to be refrigerated. Has anyone used a product or recipe that has held up for several days without refrig.??? I'd like to be able to offer fruit fillings but haven't got the refrigeration space. I looked at jams and the containers say to refrigerate after opening. Can you help me??
Thanks so much!

15 replies
bashini Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 16

Hi, I think you can use sleeve fillings. Here is a link from Global Sugar Art,

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=841

HTH. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 16

ditto on the sleeve fillings.

mom2owen1 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 16

i use jarred jam and have never had a problem. we have gone through periods were we don't refrigerate our family jam (for taost, JBJ, etc) and haven't ever had a problem with it.

sandy1 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 16

I bought one of those sleeve fruit fillings from a cake supply store and was told I would need to refrigerate my cake. I wanted to check with some of you Professional decorators to varify if this information was true.
Is it true for all of the sleeve fillings, including the cream cheese sleeve filling, that the cakes don't need to be refrigerated. I would like to offer my customers a variety of fillings but am limited to fillings that don't need refrigeration!!!!!
Thanks so much!

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 16

I only use sleeve fillings ... I never refrigerate my cakes.

tcakes65 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 16

If you don't add any fresh fruit to a jam or the sleeved fillings, they can sit out unrefrigerated for 48 hours after you fill your cake. We contacted one of the manufacturers of a jam to obtain the information.

lostincake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 16

Here's a recipe for up to 2 days unrefrigerated but unfortunately don't have one for 4 days, but this should at least help a bit...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4143-Raspberry-Puree-Filling.html

Janette Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 16

I'm peeking around the corner.........................I never refridgerate my cakes.

mbt4955 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 16

Are the sleeve fillings less sweet than jam? I need raspberry and "something orange" - I'm thinking apricot. I usually make my own raspberry filling - actually the exact one that vlin28 posted the link to - but refrigerator space is going to be very limited and I will have at least five tiers to keep cool.

I'm looking at sleeve fillings from Global Sugar Art and C K. Is there much difference between the Henry & Henry and the C K? If not, I will probably order from whichever has the best shipping charges. icon_smile.gif

Also, can one of you tell me how far 2 lbs will go? I am doing 14" and 6" rounds with "something orange" and 10" with raspberry.

Thanks!
Martha

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:07pm
post #11 of 16

HEre's a thread that I share how far a sleeve will go:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5706406#5706406

mbt4955 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks, indydebi. That is a huge help. It goes a lot further than I expected ...

sandy1 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 16

I guess it's going to come down to the fact that I won't be able to offer a variety of fillings because there is no way I can bake, fill, ice and decorate a wedding cake in 48 hours! I might be talented but not that talented, tee hee hee. I'm really disappointed, I was looking forward to offering more than butter-creme filling. I just don't have the refrigeration needed. If someone has a filling I can use that will keep for at least four days, please let me know.
Thanks

tcakes65 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 16

Do you have enough storage for your cakes after you bake them? If you bake on Wednesday, tort, fill, & crumb coat on Thursday, ice/decorate on Friday, the sleeved fillings or a jam should hold up fine for a Saturday wedding. You shouldn't have to fill your cakes 4 days in advance.

Deb_ Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 16

I never refrigerate my cakes either. Here is a link to one of the raspberry fillings I use.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2503-Raspberry-Filling.html

I sub Raspberry liquor for half the water in the recipe. Sometimes I use OJ in place of the water. You can play around with it.

All my fruit fillings are cooked, most of them I use frozen berries, because I can't always get fresh.

In MA I can't sell perishable baked goods from my home, all my recipes were approved by the HD as being non-perishable (do not need refrigeration)

Basically you can sub out any fruit for the raspberries to have a variety i.e. blueberry, strawberry, apricot, etc.

Tona Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 16

I do not refrigerate my cakes and I use the sleeve fillings. I have never had a problem with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%