How To Attach Ribbon?

Decorating By mina_mina Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 11:35am by bashini

mina_mina Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:59am
post #1 of 9

hi
how do you attach the ribbon around the cake as a border??
and is there a special ribbon for cakes or can i get the fabric ones for the craft shops?
thanks icon_smile.gif

8 replies
brincess_b Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:08am
post #2 of 9

you can use whatever you have really, royal icing is good, buttercream, or you can use a pin, as long as the people getting the cake know how to remove it.
technically, no fabric ribbon is food safe, so technically, you shouldnt use it... most people do though.
you can make edible ribbons from fondant/ gumpaste too.
xx

mina_mina Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 9

thanks brincess_b icon_smile.gif i dont think i would use a pin but royal icing sounds good. so i would pipe it around the cake and attach the ribbon right? or do i put the icing on the ribbon?
i am just worried for the fabric ribbon to stain from the icing. is there any hing else i can use except the fondant ribbon???

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 9

Hi mina_mina,

I have found that buttercream can sometimes leave grease marks through the ribbon so I started using piping gel. I Paint it on the ribbon (with a paint brush I use just for cake stuff) so I don't go above the ribbon and leave a mark on the cake. icon_smile.gif

patty5 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:16am
post #5 of 9

I am no expert but could you use syrup? maybe!

brincess_b Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:42am
post #6 of 9

i think you just need a dot of royal at the back to hold the ribbon together. you could see how it looks, and if you think it needs more, then add it round the cake.
you can line your ribbon with wax paper. i believe you can also iron wax paper over the ribbon so the wax sticks to the ribon, so nothing from the cake can seep through. dont quote me on that though!
xx

bashini Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:53am
post #7 of 9

Hi, if you have covered the cake with fondant, you can use the wet ribbon method. Just wet the ribbon, take excess water out and wrap it around the cake! icon_smile.gif You can use the normal rafric ribbons. thumbs_up.gif

mina_mina Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:55am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, if you have covered the cake with fondant, you can use the wet ribbon method. Just wet the ribbon, take excess water out and wrap it around the cake! icon_smile.gif You can use the normal rafric ribbons. thumbs_up.gif

wow that sounds very easy.. but wouldn't the ribbon look WET ?
and would it stay there all night? cause its going to be on a wedding cake...

bashini Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:35am
post #9 of 9

I haven't tried this, but from the posts I have read in another forum said that it won't look wet and yes it will stay! Loads of UK decorators use this method especialy on wedding cakes! icon_smile.gif

Edited to say that you also can wet just the ends of the ribbons and stick them on the cake. But make sure the colour is not bleeding. icon_smile.gif

Or you can use double sided sticky tape. You have to hold one end of the ribbon with a pin (don't insert it into the cake, just to hold the ribbon) and then take a tiny piece of the tape and stick that on the end of the ribbon which is holding by the pin. Then take the other end of the ribbon and stick that on the tape! (hope it make sence) icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%