Egg Replacer In Wasc

Decorating By josumiko Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 1:12am by josumiko

josumiko Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:36am
post #1 of 10

OK, so I am just thinking ahead to my son's bday in June, but I was wondering about using egg replacer in WASC. Has anyone done it? How does it affect the texture, rising, etc.
My son has a friend who is highly allergic to eggs, so I usually just make "soda" cupcakes for her (and anyone else who wants a cupcake) in addition to a regular cake, but this year her mom has discovered egg replacer, and suggested it to me. I was thinking maybe I would just do his cake with the egg replacer instead so I don't have to do extra work, but I have never used it, so i don't know how it will hold up, especially to stacking.
Anyone who has used it, I would appreciate your input! Thanks

9 replies
newnancy Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:48am
post #2 of 10

I've never used it but thought you could google or e-mail the maker of the egg replacer & ask them how it is used in cakes.....just a thought. HTH

josumiko Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 10

anyone else?

cookieaddict Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, I've used egg replacer in cakes before. I used a box mix and used the egg replacer instead of the eggs recommended by the box mix. The cake did raise well, but was a little dry.

It did stack well once covered in fondant, but it was crumbling once cut. I think the sour cream in WASC will hold it together better. Try adding a tbsp of "silken tofu" for the texture for every egg you replaced.

Hope it will work out better for you.

Valli_War Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 10

I have used the ener-G egg replacer powder. It works good if the recipe uses upto 2 eggs without any problem. I have not used it for baking from the box mix. I have used it in scratch cakes where recipe calls for just 2 eggs. For the recipes which call for more, it bakes up fine, but might sink in the middle. If you are okay torting a little more to level, it should be fine.

snowflake12 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 10

I've used the Ener-G egg replacer in a ton of different things.

#1. Box mixes, I give it maybe a 3 out of 5 stars kinda thing. It's alright, but doesn't rise at much.

#2. WASC, I think it did something really weird to it. I made mine into cupcakes, so that may have been the problem, but they were almost biscuit like, not cake/cupcake like.

#3. Cupcakes from scratch, the Ener-G works much better. And I've always been a box mix kinda girl, until my kids got the egg alleriges and I had to start using the ener-g stuff.

The best thing I've found though, is to find a recipe that doesn't contain eggs at all. If you look for the "Crazy Cake" receipe in the recipe section here, that is a chocolate cake that doesn't contain eggs or egg replacer. It's fabulous. It's my go-to receipe for all my chocolate cupcakes, I just using different fillings, toppings to get the desired effect. If you are looking for a vanilla cake though. I tried my 5th vanilla recipe in the last two months yesterday, and think I've finally found one that may work with a little more tweaking. 4 were from the recipe section here, and I didn't have good luck with them. But yesterdays was the Vanilla cupcakes from "Vegan cupcakes take over the world". So my suggestion is to find a cake recipe that doesn't contain eggs to begin with, probably your best bet. If you go the receipe section here, you can hit the drop down box for "egg-free cakes" and it will put up a couple pages worth.

brendabaker Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 10

What does WASC stand for ??? brendabaker thanx

Donnagardner Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 10

It stands for White Almond Sour Cream.

cupcakemkr Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 10

I did this just last week for my friends sons confirmation cake. I used the WASC recipe and added a box of pudding for extra binding, i did reduce the water added by 1/8 c. I also added the egg replacer at the very end of the mixing (make sure you use warm water and get those "eggs" really frothy). my cake rose beautifully and had great texture.

Nobody knew it was eggless, they all raved about the taste (I used all vanilla because of nut allergies)

Good Luck!

josumiko Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #10 of 10

Thank you all so much for your input...maybe i will buy some and experiment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%