How Early Can I Bake A Decorate Cookies Before Delivery

Baking By beginner38 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm by cylstrial

beginner38  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beginner38 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:03am
post #1 of 9

is a week too early bake and decorate cookies? its for a baby shower and i have to make the cake as well. very picky customer w high expectations so i want to spend some time on decorating the cake.
also whenever i use tip # 1 to write i have to make my royal icing thinner but than the letters tend to spread and ruins the form of the words. what can i add to the icing to make it dry faster?
need advise! thanks[/url]

8 replies
 bonniebakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 9

I try to keep the total time from baking to eating within one week, if at all possible.

sorry, can't help with the other question that you had....

beginner38  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beginner38 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:54am
post #3 of 9

thanks bonniebakes. i'll have to do a batch and see what happens after a week.

bonniebakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 9

they should be fine. I store mine (un-iced) in Tupperware containers and they are fine for several days. I know you can also freeze them - decorated or not - without change in the taste. I find that after having been frozen they are a little more crisp, but most other people don't notice the difference unless I point it out (and even then many people can't tell).

cakesbytanya  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytanya Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 9

I recently baked and decorated cookies with royal icing a week in advance to save time and when it came time to use them the icing lifted right off the cookie and was garbage. I had to start all over again. I wish that maybe I had frozen them. I'm not sure whether it would have helped or not.

pattycakesnj  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 9

I have done them a week in advance without freezing with no problem. As for the other problem, I make my RI a little thicker but use a tip 2 to write

cakesbytanya  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytanya Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 9

I didn't think that a week in advance without freezing would be bad. The cookies still tasted fine. I thought that the RI was fairly thick and there was no writing on it. It was a fish that I covered completely and they gave fins and such. I'm wondering if a had iced the sides too if that might have helped.

sweetopia  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 9

I try and do mine within a week as well... maybe a couple days un-iced, and stored in a tightly sealed tupperware. (A layer of parchment paper in between if you're stacking them). Once the icing goes on I find it helps keep them fresher... it almost acts as a sealant. They usually need to dry in the open air for 24 hours anyways; then I'll bag them or store them carefully in tupperware again.
Good luck to you with your order! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 9

I like to do a 5 day max. I'm just paranoid that they won't taste good. But that's me. I'm a paranoid person! LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%