How Early Can I Bake A Decorate Cookies Before Delivery

Baking By beginner38 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm by cylstrial

beginner38 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:03am
post #1 of 9

is a week too early bake and decorate cookies? its for a baby shower and i have to make the cake as well. very picky customer w high expectations so i want to spend some time on decorating the cake.
also whenever i use tip # 1 to write i have to make my royal icing thinner but than the letters tend to spread and ruins the form of the words. what can i add to the icing to make it dry faster?
need advise! thanks[/url]

8 replies
bonniebakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 9

I try to keep the total time from baking to eating within one week, if at all possible.

sorry, can't help with the other question that you had....

beginner38 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:54am
post #3 of 9

thanks bonniebakes. i'll have to do a batch and see what happens after a week.

bonniebakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 9

they should be fine. I store mine (un-iced) in Tupperware containers and they are fine for several days. I know you can also freeze them - decorated or not - without change in the taste. I find that after having been frozen they are a little more crisp, but most other people don't notice the difference unless I point it out (and even then many people can't tell).

cakesbytanya Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 9

I recently baked and decorated cookies with royal icing a week in advance to save time and when it came time to use them the icing lifted right off the cookie and was garbage. I had to start all over again. I wish that maybe I had frozen them. I'm not sure whether it would have helped or not.

pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 9

I have done them a week in advance without freezing with no problem. As for the other problem, I make my RI a little thicker but use a tip 2 to write

cakesbytanya Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 9

I didn't think that a week in advance without freezing would be bad. The cookies still tasted fine. I thought that the RI was fairly thick and there was no writing on it. It was a fish that I covered completely and they gave fins and such. I'm wondering if a had iced the sides too if that might have helped.

sweetopia Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 9

I try and do mine within a week as well... maybe a couple days un-iced, and stored in a tightly sealed tupperware. (A layer of parchment paper in between if you're stacking them). Once the icing goes on I find it helps keep them fresher... it almost acts as a sealant. They usually need to dry in the open air for 24 hours anyways; then I'll bag them or store them carefully in tupperware again.
Good luck to you with your order! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 9

I like to do a 5 day max. I'm just paranoid that they won't taste good. But that's me. I'm a paranoid person! LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%