Fondant Stripes On A Cake?

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:14am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,
I'm starting to figure out "nuts and bolts" for my next cake due Saturday. I'm going to apply a whole bunch of fondant stripes to the cake to match baby shower invitation, and was wondering: is there an easy way to figure out spacing and allignment of the stripes? I'm a little worried that they are not going to be spaced right, or worse not spaced right and leaning (not going straight up and down level)? There is a trick, right?

11 replies
Carson Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:27am
post #2 of 12

For me its all trial and error...

Lay a couple pieces on the cake and step back a couple steps to have a look. I always lightly stick fondant decorations on and then attach by brushing a little water on at the end when I achieved the look I want.

Sorry, but maybe someone else has an amazing trick that I can learn from as well!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:55am
post #3 of 12

To figure out the spacing you could take a strip of parchment or wax paper and warp it lightly around the cake. Then take it and lay it on the table. Lay your fondant strips on the paper until you get the spacing right. Then lay them on the cake. you can always put a layer of saran on the fondant strips so they don't dry too much if you are worried about them getting dry while figuring it out.

As far as preventing them leaning. You can invest in a small level from the hardware store and use it for cakes only. As you put a stip on the cake check for verticle level. Or just stand back after every couple strips are applied to the side of the cake and eye ball it.

Best of luck.

KellBell22 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:56am
post #4 of 12

What I do when I have to space things out like stripes is split it into half. Then half again until they look spaced close enough to what I want. I've found that helps me keep things even. HTH!

mommyle Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:12am
post #5 of 12

Well, you could be mathmatical about it, and figure out the circumference of the cake, and then how wide your stripes are, and then how many stripes and how far apart... I know that didn't help. Sorry. But you asked...

dellboi2u Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:20am
post #6 of 12

I agree with Kelbell... That is exactly what I do, saves a lot of time figuring it all out too!

sweetcakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 12

if you want the measurement exact you will have to measure, But i just eyeball it. to get them on straight, hold the top end and let the rest hang, it will hang straight then attach from the bottom up. i dont use anything to attach fondant to buttercream it just sticks.

pattycakesnj Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 12

good idea, Enjoythecake, I will try your way next time

sugarcheryl Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 12

That's a great idea enjoythecake. I need to do stripes for a cake but I need to go diagonal. Thanks for that tip.

Carson Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 12

I have a much harder time with diagonal stripes than I do getting my horizontal right. Tips on those would help me out!

JawdroppingCakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 12

What I like to do is by using a regular ruler or yardstick, I place it flat up and down against the cake and then put lightly mark the line where I want the strip to go. Then onece it is on I push the ruler up against the side to make sure they are straight and if the are not I just simply give it a little nudge with the ruler to straighten it out. Hope this works.

Pebbles1727 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks you all, especially enjoy the cake! I would do a math thing with circumference, but the stripes are of different widths and configuration, laying them out first with the help of wax paper will work perfect for what I need. Thanks again, P

Quote by @%username% on %date%