Near Disaster

Decorating By Mac Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 6:17am by xstitcher

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #1 of 7

Does it count if it's a dummy cake? The "cake" that I made for a fundraiser was using the caddy wampus stand from Bronwen Weber (Love it and worth the money). I thought "Hey, I can add another tier to it and set about getting some exta boards made.

Picked up the extra boards and one was cut too short and it was too thick. OK, I can just cut one from thick foamboard--the cakes are just styrofoam. Everything going good until delivery. Cake shifted and was no longer in the bottom hole I cut for the stand pvc. So took it all apart and put it back correctly. Ended up having to take out foamboard underneath green and yellow layer but it worked without it.

We went with the crooked theme. The wine glasses had crooked stems, the silverware had crooked grips. The table gifts were 4-tier mini cakes made with Kathy Scott's molds. The plastic containers came from www.papermart. Oh, and we hand-painted the plates to look like the tiers.

6 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #2 of 7

Wow Mac.........that's gorgeous! I love the colors.

The mini-cakes are beautiful too.....did you make them too?

What's the disaster.........the entire thing looks beautiful!

Deb

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 7

this is amazing i love everything about it. I have that stand as well and i love it. do you have a hard time getting it apart though? I was thinking about ordering another one so i could have extra boards as well just in case i wanted to make a cake a little taller.

dxerebl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dxerebl Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 7

Shouldn't this be on "food network" somewhere?? icon_lol.gif

My gawd.... what talent!!! I can only wish to have an iota of that kind of detail icon_cry.gif It looks wonderful thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 7

Absolutely stunning!! icon_smile.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:19am
post #6 of 7

Shelly--
That's what I did. I ordered the square one and then used one of the crooked pipe and connectors with the ones for the round set.

dkelly--
The near disaster was when I put the cake on the stand, it almost toppled over. That's when I realized the stand was not in the bottom hole all the way.

And yes, I made the mini cakes, also. They are made with Kathy Scott's octagon mini wedding cake molds and Merkens candy melts. I found the wine glasses on craigs list and the silverware at Target.

Now have to think of something for next year...hmmmm, can I top it?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:17am
post #7 of 7

What a fantastic job Mac! Right down to the wine glasses you picked. The colours are awesome as is the whole presentation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%