Sitting Spongebob

Decorating By Kim040508 Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 3:53am by Kim040508

Kim040508 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #1 of 7

How do I make Spongebob stay up? He keeps leaning to the back, and the top layer of cake keeps breaking in half. Help please!!

TIA, Kim

6 replies
tannersmom Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #2 of 7

Kim, do you have a pic that you can post. If not a little more details.

Stephanie

shelly-101 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #3 of 7

I did one a while ago and you have to make sure that the cakes are perfectly level. I used three dowels one down the middle and one on each side and i made sure they also went a little bit through the cake board to help keep it sitting up. I hope this helps and good luck

shelly

Kim040508 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 7

No, I don't have a pic, I took mine apart already. There are a few pics in the galleries if you do a search for spongebob. It's a 3-d sponge. I just can't keep him standing. I have a thicker dowel straight down through the middle and one on each side also. I think I'm going to try putting cardboard layers every 2 layers. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks for the quick replies! Any more ideas are still welcomed, I have to bake another cake before I can continue anyway. icon_cry.gif

Thanks,
Kim

Kim040508 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #5 of 7

Thanks Shelly, I'm going to try again! Sometimes this is frustrating. I'll get it sooner or later.

Thank you,
Kim

marisanovy Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 7

Kim, I've seen at Ace of Cakes that they use a bottom layer of a non edible material to hold shapes.

You could use like a styrofoam base for the shorts, cover with BC and /or fondant. This base board should be big and large enough, this way you can push down the dowels through it.

I hope I was clear on my idea. Sorry...

HTH

Kim040508 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:53am
post #7 of 7

Thank you marisanovy, I'm sorry, I forgot to say that I did do the shorts in styrofoam in my original post. It's been a long night and it's still not over.
Thanks for the idea though.

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%