Cake Cutting Guide?

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 3:54am by Rose_N_Crantz

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 4

But not for wedding cakes. I've got my first real order for a girl's fourth birthday. The mother would like two round cakes, one chocolate, one white so people have a choice. She's expecting around 20-25 people, but she's not sure yet. So my question is how many slices could you reasonably get out of a 10" or an 8" round cake? All the guides I've found tell me to cut a circle in the middle of the cake and slice from there. Would you guys typically do that for a kid's birthday party? I can see for a wedding where you want the slices to look nice and uniform, but this is just a kid's party.

So basically I'm asking how many servings could you cakers (with more experience than me!) could get out of a 10" and an 8" round cake without cutting the circle in the middle?

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

But not for wedding cakes. I've got my first real order for a girl's fourth birthday. The mother would like two round cakes, one chocolate, one white so people have a choice. She's expecting around 20-25 people, but she's not sure yet. So my question is how many slices could you reasonably get out of a 10" or an 8" round cake? All the guides I've found tell me to cut a circle in the middle of the cake and slice from there. Would you guys typically do that for a kid's birthday party? I can see for a wedding where you want the slices to look nice and uniform, but this is just a kid's party.

So basically I'm asking how many servings could you cakers (with more experience than me!) could get out of a 10" and an 8" round cake without cutting the circle in the middle?

That circle method is ridiculous, even for weddings, and I have used a different method for 30 years. Here's the step by step pics ... print it off and give it to your client as a "how-to" on cutting cakes.
http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

I use this method to cut cakes for my grandkids birthday parties and it works just fine. A 10" serves about 35 and an 8" serves 24 using this method. Notice the pieces of cake in the link ... they are a nice dessert size piece of cake AND they are perfect for a kid-size piece of cake. Here's a pic of a table full of 1x2x4" cake servings: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

The reason I hate the circle method is because no one can cut a perfect circle. Plus, when you're standing behind the cake table with a 14" or a 16" cake in front of you, how do you reach over the table and the cake to cut the pieces in the front? Walking 'round and 'round the table is just nuts!

I hate the circle method. shhh.gif

lori75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lori75 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:01am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

That circle method is ridiculous, even for weddings, and I have used a different method for 30 years. Here's the step by step pics ... print it off and give it to your client as a "how-to" on cutting cakes.
http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

I use this method to cut cakes for my grandkids birthday parties and it works just fine. A 10" serves about 35 and an 8" serves 24 using this method. Notice the pieces of cake in the link ... they are a nice dessert size piece of cake AND they are perfect for a kid-size piece of cake. Here's a pic of a table full of 1x2x4" cake servings: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

The reason I hate the circle method is because no one can cut a perfect circle. Plus, when you're standing behind the cake table with a 14" or a 16" cake in front of you, how do you reach over the table and the cake to cut the pieces in the front? Walking 'round and 'round the table is just nuts!

I hate the circle method. shhh.gif

I just wanted to say that I used this method for the first time today (thanks to seeing it on this site) and it was SO easy to do, and make much neater slices. It also allowed for a lot more servings of each cake.
I'll never cut a cake the traditional way again!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 4

That cutting guide looks simple enough to me. I think with that, I should be able to get by with two 8" rounds and have plenty of cake left over. I should see about getting some to go cake boxes to take with me so the guests can take some cake home if there some left overs.

I'm still open to other cutting guides too, so if anyone else has some other method they've found successful, let me know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%