Oh No! I Left Something Out!

Decorating By apieceofcake-dolores Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm by btaylor76

apieceofcake-dolores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apieceofcake-dolores Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:03am
post #1 of 6

So how bad will this cake have tasted...I delivered a cake this morning that had one tier that was WSCA and I just opened the fridge and saw the unopened sour cream..I forgot to put it in!! I didn't notice anything when I was trimming and layering it..but I was also making 2 other cakes at the same time.
So do you think it was really bad? Should I let the person know what I did?
This is my first time having a cake disaster lol

5 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 6

I've never made the WASC but considering that it starts with a box mix (meaning everything needed is included) I think you are fine as long as the lake looked fine. Don't sweat it icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 6

I could be wrong but I think the sour cream is a form of fat so the cake may have ended up really dry. I wouldn't say anything to her but maybe be prepared if she comments or has anything to say about it.

It happens.... I do like to torte the cakes so it allows me to taste the trimmings as well as checking to make sure the inside isn't raw and then if the cake appears to be dry, then I can brush each of the layers with simple syrup.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 6

Yup, the sour cream adds the moisture. It may just be a tad bit dry. I've left the sour cream out once, and I only noticed when I was eating the trimmings and it was not as moist as my typical cakes. I looked in the fridge and what do you know.. and unopened container of sour cream!

Don't sweat it though.. box mixes are typically moist as is regardless. If it was horrible.. you'd most likely of heard it by now! =)

apieceofcake-dolores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apieceofcake-dolores Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 6

Ok thanks guys!
I also layered it with buttercream..so hopefully it wasn't TOO dry! lol

btaylor76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btaylor76 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 6

I can ACTUALLY help out on this one....I would have tasted very similar to a sponge or angel food cake... a VERY sweet sponge or angel food cake. I know this...because I JUST did this Saturday. It was a little dry....but the buttercream made up for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%