How Do You Do This Border?

Decorating By Michele25 Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 4:35am by Creative_chika

Michele25 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 16

Hi,

I love the border on the cake shown below, and pm'd the creator (gwu90) a while ago and also asked the question on some of her cake photo comments, but I have never gotten a response. Could anyone tell me how this is done or what tip is used?

Thanks in advance!!!
LL

15 replies
Michellers Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 16

I've been noticing the "ruffly" looking border lately too. I hope someone can answer your question. I'm a bit curious about it too.

bakery_chick Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 16

I'm not sure but I would like to find out too...

indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 16

You can do a basic ruffle using a rose tip. This one looks a bit more detailed, like the petals on an Apple Blossom .... http://www.wilton.com/technique/Apple-Blossoms .

YAYI95 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 16

Its a little hard to tell but it looks like tip 104...maybe layed flat to achieve that look...

tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 16

It is done with tip 104. Is almost the same tchnique used to make pansies appleblossoms and those other flowers. I called them mouse ears, but put together one after the other one looks like a ruffle.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

grannys3angels Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:27am
post #7 of 16

There was a thread back in March 2006, with a photo of Sharon's (sugarshack) cake...asking about a border she did like this one.

I do this border also, but it's easlier for me to just quote her:

Sharon (aka Sugarshack) Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:38 pm
(Quote)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hello everyone; that is my cake! I was told by a friend you needed some help with the borders!
the bottom border was invented by Jennifer Dontz. the leafy part is done with a tip 104, fat side to the cake, the tip laying on its side; squeeze hard and then go in and out away from cake, toward cake... etc. then pipe over that with a star tip or whatever you like. the top border is done with a tip 98 ( like a half moon shell shape) and it's one motion, kind of a reverse shell motion, and on the down stroke you let it droop over the side. I dont know if I made myself clear or not, but I hope that helped some!!! SHaron (Unquote)

Hope this helps.
God Bless,
Sharon

Here is the link to that thread also: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-18896-border.html

Michele25 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:30am
post #8 of 16

Thanks so much for your responses! I looked at the directions on how to make a pansy/apple blossom and just can't visualize how to do that as a border......(sorry--I'm a total visual learner!!! icon_lol.gif )

Edna, btw--I have spent a good part of the afternoon today watching your YouTube tutorials--they are so awesome and it's so nice of you to take the time to do those! Now, how about a tutorial on this border!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele25

Thanks so much for your responses! I looked at the directions on how to make a pansy/apple blossom and just can't visualize how to do that as a border......(sorry--I'm a total visual learner!!! icon_lol.gif )

Edna, btw--I have spent a good part of the afternoon today watching your YouTube tutorials--they are so awesome and it's so nice of you to take the time to do those! Now, how about a tutorial on this border!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lol..thanks...next one coming out is petunias in royal icing..Im stil editing it!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Michele25 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #10 of 16

Thanks so much for the info, grannys3angels! We must've been responding at the same time, so I didn't see your answer initially. The directions are helpful, and now that you post them I do recall seeing that border on some of Sharon's cakes too. I think it's so beautiful!

Thanks again!

grannys3angels Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:40am
post #11 of 16

Your Welcome Michele thumbs_up.gif IIt is a beautiful border, I just wish I could get it as good as Sharon's and the cake you posted in this thread icon_lol.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

fiddlesticks Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #12 of 16

Oh I also love that border!
Oh Edna I cant wait to see your next youtube!
Sounds like a fun one to learn!
I love to listen to you talk !!!!!!!!!

Peridot Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #13 of 16

Edna..
Please a TULIPS tutorial. I don't get the pistel and the center part of it.

cblupe Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #14 of 16

Edna, I second the Tulips tutorial request also!

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:47am
post #15 of 16

lol...Im slow but working on stuff..I'll get there! icon_biggrin.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Creative_chika Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:35am
post #16 of 16

I'd love to make this border too, thanks for posting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%