Just What Is Hi-Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By poohsmomma Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 12:23pm by poohsmomma

poohsmomma Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 9

Probably a really stupid question...but I don't know!
Help, please. icon_confused.gif

8 replies
dettdunn Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 9

Most hi-ratio shortenings are used specifically for icings; less greasy and makes icings more fluffy. Some popular brands are Alpine and Sweetex

tracey1970 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 9

Hi-ratio shortenings have particular emulsifiers that make icing less greasy. Many people prefer buttercream icing made with it versus Crisco and similar shortenings.

patticakesnc Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 9

While we are on the subject where does everyone buy HR shortening? I haven't seen it in my local store but haven't looked in all of them. I have Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Honeys, Walmart, Sams, Harris Teeter around me. If you have any of those let me know if you know where to get it.

sweetcravings Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 9

Can this type of shortening be frozen to increase it's shelf life? How long does it last without freezing or refrigerating it?

tracey1970 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:30am
post #6 of 9

You can order name brands of it on-line, but I don't because the shipping to Canada is HUGE! I buy mine (store brand, so not sure of its quality) at my local Bulk Barn - a bulk food store.

I make my icing with 1/2 hi-ratio and 1/2 butter. I refrigerate it for a few weeks and freeze it (well covered) for a few months without a problem.

poohsmomma Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:44am
post #7 of 9

Still confused....

But what am I looking for on the label so I know it's hi-ratio??
ratio of what to what???

korensmommy Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 9

Look for the words Hi-Ratio Shortening or the brand names, like Sweetex.
Here are some on-line examples if you are a visual person!

poohsmomma Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks, folks, I guess I'll just have to start reading labels!

Quote by @%username% on %date%