Lots Of People Ask Me...

Decorating By Creative_chika Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 2:57am by enoid

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 11

I made these two cakes, and everyone that has seen has seen them ask me how much I would charge for a cake like that. But I have absolutly no clue, because I really don't feel perfectly prepared to sell cakes... But, anyway, how much would you charge?

1st cake is WASC with MMF. Used wilton star pan for bottom. About 30 people ate cake and the top tier was completly untouched (leftover).

The second one is also WASC with Chocolate buttercream and MMF. Two 10" cakes.

Thanks for answering, in advance... icon_smile.gif
LL

10 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 11

Probably $125 for the first one and $75 for the second.

Creative_chika Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:32am
post #3 of 11

Thanks for answering icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:49am
post #4 of 11

Don't you think it would be important to take into consideration the area you live? I mean those cakes in a large metropolitan area may cost $$$ but in a rural farm area there would be no way anyone would spend $$$ for that cake. I think location and the going rate would apply. There are many things to consider first. Of course this is just my little opinion, I could be wrong.

Creative_chika Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:10am
post #5 of 11

Yes, madgeowens, I totally agree with you. I have a friend that buys her cakes at an upscale bakery. She told me the first cake would be more than $100.00 at that place. I always bought my cakes at walmart. Never in my life had I seen a cake made with fondant and so greatly decorated. Everyday I learn something new.

dennettesdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennettesdelectables Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:31am
post #6 of 11

well in a way i agree with you madgeowens ... but i grew up in a farm area where we had walmart, price cutter and a few small bakeries near by , if you have something to offer that other people don't some people are willing to pay more, the best advice i have gotten is to go to a business that you feel you can comfortably compete with and see what their prices are and go a little cheaper, not too cheap so that you make profit but cheap enough that they prefer you over the other guys, even more than one comparison helps too...i just got paid for my first cake and am so excited I wonder about how much I charged b/c it was for a friends nephew so i charged cost plus 15 for profit, and they still gave me a 20 dollar tip, which ended up to be all together 70 dollars..well i was going to post it in this reply but its not working, i just posted it to my photos though

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:51am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennettesdelectables

well in a way i agree with you madgeowens ... but i grew up in a farm area where we had walmart, price cutter and a few small bakeries near by , if you have something to offer that other people don't some people are willing to pay more, the best advice i have gotten is to go to a business that you feel you can comfortably compete with and see what their prices are and go a little cheaper, not too cheap so that you make profit but cheap enough that they prefer you over the other guys, even more than one comparison helps too...i just got paid for my first cake and am so excited I wonder about how much I charged b/c it was for a friends nephew so i charged cost plus 15 for profit, and they still gave me a 20 dollar tip, which ended up to be all together 70 dollars..well i was going to post it in this reply but its not working, i just posted it to my photos though

ITA. If no one is offering the service you're offering and they are willing to pay more, charge more icon_biggrin.gif Isn't that the law of supply or demand or whatever (sumthan or nuthan lol)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 11

Never, never go cheaper! At least the same or more.
When you price yourself cheap, that will turn some people off. They will think...oh she's cheap it probably won't taste good or somesuch thoughts.
If you price yourself high the people who can afford it *will* come to you because they precieve you as being good, tasty etc.

dennettesdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennettesdelectables Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #9 of 11

kakeladi,

i truly beg to differ. I mean i have not being doing the cake thing long, but my husband and I own our own business that deals with something alot more valuable to most people than cake...Electronics. He installs and mounts televisions, he can do cable, internet, phone and (working towards the license to do>) security! We get the majority of our business because of the fact that we can do the same thing that Geek Squad can but we don't charge you 170 dollars just to walk in the door! With the economy the way it is people are always shopping around for a good deal, even if it just saves them 5 dollars. I'm not saying go so cheap that it may compromise they way people perceive you, but just slightly under the competition to where they want to go with you rather than the other guys. If you price your stuff too high people may see you as being stuck up and overpriced! But like I said, i havent been doing the cake thing long but i do have other experience that proves that more often than not people are going to want to go where they can save more money!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #10 of 11

How can you not feel prepared to sell cakes? They are so cute. You should feel proud and go with your bad self.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #11 of 11

You have to be able to cover your costs including your time and still make a decent profit. I don't mean gouge, but a custom cake is worth more than a frozen big box store cake. Just as a custom security system is worth more than a camera you mount yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%