Looking For High Ratio Shortening In Southern California

Decorating By pitagory Updated 6 May 2009 , 6:14am by Chocolatehazelnut

pitagory Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 18

Help does any body know of any store around Riverside area that has any high ratio shortening. ordering on line is hard and expensive not to mention that I live in the desert and some wont ship it here
thank
maria

17 replies
tracey1970 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:04am
post #2 of 18

I'm not sure I can help as I live about as far away from you as possible. However, I get mine at my local bulk store - Bulk Barn. I don't know if you have those in the US, but maybe a call to your local bulk store??

pitagory Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:59am
post #3 of 18

Thanks tracey I have gone to some stores over here smart and final sams and cosco with no luck but I will keep looking

MrsDuncan Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 18

I know there is a cake supply store that I use that carries it. i do not know how close it is to you...
Pila's Pantry Norco, CA (951) 371-3957
Temecula, CA (951) 695-0665

pitagory Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 18

yaaa thank you it is still about an hours away but I go to temecula frequently I live in palm springs and there is no bakery supply store over here I'm just getting stared so I am still experimenting with the frostings and such but this web site is the best
thank you MrsDuncan

Maria

luvsfreebies72 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 18

if you go to S & F, thier house brand of veg shortening has a slightly higher amount of transfat than what I've seen in the grocery stores. I'm not sure what makes "high ratio" high ratio. .. but there ya go, if need be. It's $25 for 25# box. I haven't looked for high ratio in my supply stores, so not sure if they carry it. I can check for you if you'd like, but I'm even further away than Temecula to you icon_lol.gif

CakeMommy3 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:52am
post #7 of 18

There is a cake supply store in Redlands that sells it. I don't remember how much it is, though. It's called California Cake Decorating and Supply Co. and it is on the corner of Colton Ave. and Orange St., right off the 10 FWY. They have lots of neat stuff there, and she does classes too! icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:25am
post #8 of 18

If you ever find yourself in L.A., Surfas in Culver City, right off the 10 Fwy, has 3-lb buckets of CK brand Hi Ratio, I think it was $9. Gloria's Cake and Candy a little further West in CC carries Sweetex in 1-lb tubs, for $5 a pound (everything there costs a fortune). I don't think you're going to find it anywhere besides a cake supply store or a proper restaurant supply store (like Surfas). Unless that S+F higher TF works out?! Surfas has great bulk chocolate too, and tons of pans (plus zillions of other cooking goodies). Make it a field trip! LOL

luvsfreebies72 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 18

crap, ceshell, why'd ya have to remind me of that place?? (Surfas that is)I've heard of it, never been. Now I HAVE to go!!!! Which means I'll wind up dropping a booty-load of money icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

ceshell Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 18

Yah that place is Disneyland for cooks! They have a lot of baking supplies (but not as much as in any cake store...although there are about 1000 different colors of sugar LOL.)

ccckitty Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 18

I've never heard of this, but then again, I am new to this site. Love all the tips. I've only used Crisco shortening. What is the difference. (I feel silly asking, but would love to know.) Thanks

ceshell Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:37am
post #12 of 18

Hi ccckitty, and welcome to CC! Here, you will find tons of great info on stuff you've never heard of before, and pretty soon YOU will be the one imparting your brilliant cake knowledge to others LOL.

To answer your question about Hi Ratio shortening, or other new goodies you come across as you read the forums, there is a great search feature in the pink bar above (under Cake Decorating Forum). It works best if you restrict your search to "all words" and sometimes even "topic title only". To give you a head start, here are a few threads that came up when I searched for "High Ratio":

Everything you ever wanted to know about hi-ratio shortening (link originally provided by JanH): http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731-.html
More people discussing what it is/how it works http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-34464-.html
Hi Ratio vs Crisco+where to find http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-621726-.html

p.s. you shouldn't feel silly asking; I'd never heard of it before CC either! As we always say: NO question is silly or stupid here on CC (although, many times you can find the answer in the forums, so a search is a great place to start rather than hoping someone happens to answer your thread) thumbs_up.gif Happy caking and try not to get TOO addicted icon_lol.gif

Chocolatehazelnut Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #13 of 18

Do any of you know if home bakeries are legal in California? I am guessing that they are not. (But if they are, what licensing, etc. is required and where do you start?)

Thanks!

Idreamofcakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:39pm
post #14 of 18

Cakemommy Thank you so much for that info! I have to go right by there next week, can't wait to check it out. How are there prices?

Pitagory, have you checked Moreno Valley or Hemet? Those are both in the same vicinities, if your willing to go to Riverside anyhow icon_lol.gif
Look at different cities along the way, for some reason I have it in my head that there is one in Banning or Beaumont too, maybe even Yacaipa.
I thought there were some out in the desert out that way that carried everything! LOL...have you asked Jensen's if they would sell you some?

I live in the High Desert (Hesperia) and there is a new place here that carries it

Idreamofcakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 18

Pitagory found one in Norco!!
http://www.pilaspantry.com/main_about.asp
I talked to her on the phone and yes they sell it, her name is Pila and is just the sweetest thing!

HTH!
Teri

BTW I just googled cake supplies for different cities

ATCakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #16 of 18

Susan Carberry's shop (the Cake Cottage) in Murrieta also has it.

ceshell Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatehazelnut

Do any of you know if home bakeries are legal in California? I am guessing that they are not. (But if they are, what licensing, etc. is required and where do you start?)

Thanks!

No, they aren't. You have to bake from a commercial kitchen. There's a sticky on the top of the Cake Decorating Business section with more info http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586218.html thumbs_up.gif

Chocolatehazelnut Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:14am
post #18 of 18

Ceshell,

Thanks so much for the information. It's disappointing that a home bakery isn't possible in CA, but it's much better to know. I'll just keep baking for family, friends, schools, and charity instead!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%