Gum Paste Fiqurines

Decorating By PartyKakesbyKaren Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 8:48am by bashini

PartyKakesbyKaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PartyKakesbyKaren Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 7

Is there a trick to making gum paste fiqurines. Mine always crack after they dry and fall apart. icon_cry.gif

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 7

Hi there, Welcome to CC. Are you making them with all fondant? If so try adding 1/2 a teaspoon of CMC/Tylose powder to 250g of fondant. Or you can mix 50/50 store bought gumpaste and fondant.

HTH.

PartyKakesbyKaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PartyKakesbyKaren Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 7

I am using all gum paste, no fondant. They are so brittle. Do I need to add something?
Thanks!

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:56am
post #4 of 7

Im not sure where u are getting ur gumpaste from, so I can only speak for my experience. I use a powder mix that I just add water to. I add a bit more then the reccomended amount becuase the normal to me is to hard to work with. Maybe your brand can be softened with water? Just remember with gumpaste even a 1/4 tsp can make a difference so add in small amounts.

Maybe using some crisco could soften it a bit as well?

good luck

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 7

Add fondant. It'll help a ton.

ambolil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambolil Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #6 of 7

I AM FAIRLY UNEXPERIENCED IN THIS DEPARTMENT. I HAVE MADE A FEW GUMPASTE FIGURES AND A FEW FONDANT FIGURES, BUT HAVE NEVER MIXED THE TWO PRODUCTS. I HAVE USED MARSHMALLOW FONDANT IN THE PAST.

SO WHEN YOU SAY ADD FONDANT, ARE YOU ADDING A PURCHASED FONDANT, MARSHMALLOW FONDANT, DOES IT MATTER?

DO THE FIGURES STILL DRY AS HARD?

CAN YOU DO THIS WHEN MAKING FLOWERS?

DOES THIS EXTEND THE DRYING TIME?

THANKS A TON!!!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:48am
post #7 of 7

PartykakesbyKaren, I think you need to use 50/50 mix. It make a real difference.

ambolil, you can mix the purchased fondant and gumpaste. But I haven't used marshmellow fondant though!

The figures will dry hard and you can make flowers with it too! When I make my figures, I always make them a week before. So it has plenty of time to dry.

HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%