How To Make A Gumpaste Wood Screw?

Decorating By Joyfull4444 Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm by -K8memphis

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all

Customer has requested a cake with an oversized screw and the number 40 for a friends BD.

I'm a bit lost on how to make the gumpaste wood screw. I have tool molds but none that have screws and bolts included. I can figure out the top part of the screw, just not sure how I'd get the ridged spiral effect for the rest of it.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 4

I rolled a sausage and flattened down one edge.
Then wrap the still rounded edge around a stick.
So the screwy part is on the outside.
Then I'd stick it in foam so it could set up.
You might want to glue it a bit as you go.
You could get the same effect
by cutting out doughnut shapes,
flattening out the outside edge
and stack them up.

icon_smile.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 4

K8, I don't quite understand the wrapping around the stick part? Do you mean wrap the sausage shape around a stick as in when ones making curly cues, or use a stick to make the spiral impression on the sausage shape?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 4

Yes like a curly-cue only squished together more--no gaps in between --
And the knife edge (the flattened edge) turned outward

So it just spirals like a screw.

The stick should be powdered with cornstarch so it will easily be removed later after drying. I'd make several to account for possible breakage. But this could easily be glued & patched back together too.

Then it's wrapped around the stick and allowed to dry.

It's kinda counter productive to powder the stick because then it's harder to wrap it around but it is kinda necessary for removal.

Maybe try it without powdering it to get the feel for it to protect your nerves. kwim

I tested this with candy clay--the knife edge broke at first but then it went round & round ok. I'd imagine using fondant or gum paste it would stretch better. My sausage was about a quarter inch thick and six or seven inches long--wrapped it around a dowel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%