Bakery Cake....now I'm Reminded.

Decorating By Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 1

I haven't really had bakery cake in awhile...so anyway went to a birthday party of a friend the other day. Usually I end up making cakes for friends from church and stuff...this time there was a miscommunication about my availability and they ended up ordering the cake from an upscale grocery store bakery. No problem...

Anyway went to the party and the cake was two tiered but each tier was maybe 3" tall. It was typical bakery look...roses and some scrolls and a few fondant stars on wires, didn't look bad, although since everyone knows I do cakes I had a couple questions as to whether I made it. BUT then the family asked me to cut the cake as they said nobody else knew how to cut a tiered cake. Of course since I was up there cutting I'm sure everyone thought I made it, which I felt like announcing "NO I did NOT make this cake!"

Anyway as I cut into the top tier, I was shocked that there was no board separating the two tiers. So as I served the top tier, the icing from the bottom tier was coming up with it. I did my best to leave some icing on the bottom. But if I had served the cake altogether (tiers combined) the slices would have been 5-6 inches deep! Oh and then the icing itself had to have been an inch thick in some places too.

Wow.

So it really made me feel better really, about my cakes and about my pricing...and it also reminded me why my customers (as are probably everyone's on this forum) are so happy with their cakes....they get quality for their money. No wonder people are willing to pay more to get a custom cake.

Incidentally the cake was not too bad...it was vanilla pound, and I'm not a huge pound cake fan but it was good, if a bit dry. The icing though was too sweet and too thick.

I just hope not TOO many people thought it was a "cake by suzy"!!!!!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%