My Royal Icing Isn't Sticking To My Rbc!!help!!!

Baking By KookieKris Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm by KookieKris

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 4

I've been working on a Spring Cookie Bouquet for the past two days.
I wanted to make sure the cookies were set enough to package (thank goodness!). Yesterday, while checking on my cookies, I noticed that my Antonia74 royal icing was literally coming right off my RBC in the entire shape of the decoration! icon_surprised.gif I've never had this happen before and I didn't know what else to do, so in a panic I "glued" all the shapes back on the cookies with Corn Syrup. This was pretty time consuming, but I think it worked.
They're okay today, pretty shiny, but okay still (I hope) icon_sad.gif
Why did this happen? I've never had this happen to me before and I don't know what I did differently. Any help or suggestions would be great ~ I've spent hours just to fix this one and I'm afraid next order I won't have as much time.

3 replies
KookieKris Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 4

Can anyone help?????

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 4

Because royal icing + oil/fat = no go

Have you been able to accomplish this combo before? It's pretty crucial that royal icing be made in completely oil-free/squeeky clean bowls/paddles/piping bags...so I'm not surprised that it wouldn't "stick" per se. It is an icing that can't have any fat residue in it for it to both whip up and dry solid.

KookieKris Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 4

I'm sorry antonia74 ~ I didn't get any notification on e-mail and just saw that you replied icon_confused.gif
I have heard a lot of people talk about doing this and I've done it before, but just details, not the entire cookie like I tried this past time.
Maybe the oil free/grease free requirement is the problem? I did pipe the RI with one of my bags that I've used with buttercream. So, obviously, it was definitely not grease free.
I'll attempt it again with these suggestions in mind and maybe I can make it work!
Thanks again antonia74 ~ for your recipe and your suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%