What Kind Of Cake Do You Use Under Fondant???

Decorating By mbarbi Updated 3 Apr 2013 , 1:52pm by Soniye

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 9:18am
post #1 of 9

i was told that you cannot use chiffon or sponge cake?? is it really better to use butter cake?? thanks so much icon_smile.gif

8 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 9:39am
post #2 of 9

Whatever you use must be structurally strong enough to hold up under the weight of the fondant (that stuff is heavy!). I wouldn't use a chiffon or an egg white based sponge cake. There are plenty of delicious cake recipes out there that are perfect for fondant cakes, butter cakes being one of them!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:02am
post #3 of 9

Hi, I use sponge cake all the time. But its not egg white based. Its the basic Victoria sponge. I have done Chocolate sponge, Lemon, Coffee and even Carrot Cake. icon_smile.gif

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 9

I use a chiffon cake all the time under fondant and I never had problems with it.

mbarbi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #5 of 9

can you please send me a recipe for a chiffon cake that you can use under fondant?? thanks so much =)

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarbi

can you please send me a recipe for a chiffon cake that you can use under fondant?? thanks so much =)

I always use the recipe posted here:

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/chiffon-cake.html

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 9

I would assume a butter cake to be the best but I would think there would be other cakes as well,as long as the cake is stable enough to carry the weight of fondant.

mbarbi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 9

thanks so much!!! =)

Soniye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniye Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 9

AThank you, thank you, thank you @didi5 !!! So, 4 questions: 1. can you make it wet by adding some sugar syrup to give it a forest cake "wettness"  2. how do you stack the chiffon cakes for a three tier 3. Have you done this using a bible shaped pan before 4. what kind of frosting do you use on the inside of the cake and how long before do you bake them for wedding? I have a wedding cake order that has 4 separate round cakes, a bible, and a two tier round cake and would really appreciate your experienced feedback

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%