What To Charge...............

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 11:16pm by tannersmom

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 9

I have a request for a sheet cake that feeds 50. She asked if I could mark the cake for proper cutting/slicing. On each piece she wants a mint(in the shape of a baby bottle). I'm sure you have to use a mold for that. Will a 11x15 give enough slices or do I need to double that 11x15? ANyway, I have no idea what to charge. HOw do you properly mark the cake without actually cutting it?

Stephanie

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 9

To determine servings, just do the math.

If cutting the pieces in the standard 2x2x2, then an 11x15 cake would be cut into approx 5 rows by 7 columns (35 servings). If cut in 3x2x2, then the cake would be cut in approx 5 columns by 5 rows = 25 servings.

A 12x18, when cut in 2x2x2, would be cut in 6 rows by 9 columns = 54 servings. If cut in 3x2x2 pieces, then the cake would be cut in approx 6 rows by 6 columns = 36 servings.

I've marked sheet cakes lots of times and it's pretty easy. When I show the markings to the client, they think I'm so smart! ( icon_rolleyes.gif I can live with that!). Anyway .... every 2 or 3 inches (determined by the size of the serving you plan to cut), put a small "dot" as part of the border design. No one can tell it's a mark, but it's easy for the cutter to see.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #3 of 9

when i make a cake to serve 50 people.. for baby shower or bridal shower , etc.. i bake 2) 10"x10"x2" ...then after icing them, i mark, every 2" across and down.. hope i,m making sense.... then i take some dental floss, litely mark , down and across.. then put whatever decoration they want... ready for them to cut.. easy for them.. i charge $2.00 a serving.. so ,$100.00 , for the 50 servings.. i am sure other charge more.. some could charge less.. never had a problem with my price. hth

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #4 of 9

I just did a sheet cake (the plaid cake) for 50 people and I put 2 9x13 side by side and iced them together. I know I'm way under priced compared to other people on here. But for my area I charged $45, people just wouldn't pay more than that icon_sad.gif
For marking the cake in squares, I would measure first and put little markings with a toothpick on each side of the cake every 2" then use the dental floss to make the long straight lines icon_wink.gif
Hope that didn't confuse you.

tannersmom Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 9

Thanks! I was thinking along the same lines(using floss or a dot). ABout the price, I have people that _itch and complain about my prices all the time. I charge $2.50 a serving for BC and $3.50 a serving for fondant. Where I live, when I quote this price, I think that the are going to pass out. I hate having to explain my prices. Anyway, the lady that needs the cake, noramally gets her cakes fro another baker. But, she now has a broken arm. I asked(I had too) how much did the baker normally charge and she said that she couldn't remember. I just find that hard to believe. Maybe I shouldn't have asked. Thanks for the help.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #6 of 9

Using the edge of a long plastic ruler to make a slight impression, I mark off the top of the cake starting 1" from the edge and then every 2" going both directions, to make a grid. (You might have to adjust slightly if your cake is not exact size) I use tip 3 to pipe lines over my marks. Wherever the lines cross, I add a small decoration. Then when the cake is cut between the lines, the lines are like the criss-crossed ribbons on the top of a package, and the small decor is like the bow.
Does that make sense?

An example:
http://www.sugarfrosted.com/displayimage.php?pos=-1567

Click on the picture to enlarge it to see the detail better.

tannersmom Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #7 of 9

Indydebi, you are to SMART. LOL

tannersmom Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #8 of 9

Thanks to all of you. I couldn't do this cake thingy with you. LOL

tannersmom Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 9

I meant to say "without you. thanks for all the tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%