Help With My Lightning Mcqueen Red!

Decorating By TamathaV Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 5:23am by TamathaV

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 6

Hi there,

I am doing a Cars themed cake (due tomorrow morning, of course) with a fondant covered RKT McQueen character. I added a TON of red gel to my fondant witha touch of brown to dumb down the pinkish tinge. My kitchen and hands looked like a crime sceneicon_smile.gif.

It was looking okay so I went ahead and covered the model. Now it's lightened up so much I am worried about it looking faded. Is there anything I can do to restore or deepen the color at this point? I don't have an airbrush yet! I'm having the problem with the "black" tires but they are small enough to paint whereas the car would look really streaky, I think.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks so much!

5 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 6

Would some red luster dust help? (McQueen did have a new paint job at the end of the movie!?) I just did a McQueen cake (although not nearly as complicated as fondant) and used red sanding sugar to get some semblance of red rather than orangey-reddish...it's a tough one!

Good luck!

TamathaV Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I'm sure luster dust would help, I just don't have any red and I live in a town where the only supplies are from Walmarticon_sad.gif so no luster dust close.

I'm kicking myself because I almost bought an airbrush kit last month but then decided to wait until I had a few more orders. Wouldn't you know they've all been cakes that would be so much easier with an airbrush! McQueen's looking so cute but now he looks dark pink!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #4 of 6

Hopefully it will darken over time?? Ugh...that's frustrating...I'm sure the little boy (?) will love it anyhow! Can always paint it by hand, I suppose? Maybe a little yellow or gold (if you have it?) strategically placed? Good luck! Be sure to post a pic when you're done! icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 6

Does your Walmart have the Wilton spray cans of color? It needs to be shaken WELL, but the red in that might help bring your color back up. Again I stress, shake it well, and it's a pretty true red and covers well.
You might want to spray outside if you try it... it tends to "dust" your surfaces in a faint coating of red dust.

TamathaV Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #6 of 6

Darn - that's a great idea! I forgot all about that stuff! Too bad I went ahead and finished it. I am ging to spritz it with vodka (a trick I learned from Bronwen Weber) before I deliver it tomorrow and that will at least give it a little sheen. I'm pretty happy with it but you can bet I'll be getting my airbrush soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%