How Much Would You Charge?

Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm by Cathy26

Newatdecorating Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 27

Just curious how much you would charge for this cake? It's a 10-inch, double layer iced in buttercream. Gumpaste "K". Fondant balls, polka dots and 16 daisies.
LL

26 replies
-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 27

39 times four bucks. $160-ish

Newatdecorating Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 27

Wow! Are you serious?!?!

I am not planning to start selling. Was just asking out of curiosity. I guess I just don't think of myself being "that good", because I mainly only do cakes for my kids.

pattycakesnj Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #4 of 27

It is beautiful but in my neck of the woods, probably only about $75

-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newatdecorating

Wow! Are you serious?!?!

I am not planning to start selling. Was just asking out of curiosity. I guess I just don't think of myself being "that good", because I mainly only do cakes for my kids.

Not to burst your bubble--but that's the going rate--fair market price for a 10 inch fondant covered cake--in fact that's a little on the low side.

I mean it's a very pretty cake don't get me wrong.
I'm just saying that's normal pricing

something_sweet Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 27

For me personally, about $60. I would get laughed out of town if I charged over $100.

soygurl Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:57am
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Not to burst your bubble--but that's the going rate--fair market price for a 10 inch fondant covered cake--in fact that's a little on the low side.

But it's a buttercream covered cake, with fondant accents. Totally different in my book. I'd probably charge about $60-$70 for that cake. Any more would be considered CRAZY in my area. icon_rolleyes.gif
If it WAS covered in fondant instead of BC, I might be able to get away with charging $100, but that would be seriously pushing it.

And BTW, how do you get away with expecting people to get almost 40 servings from a 2 layer 10" party cake? That's close the number of servings listed for a 10" wedding cake where I work! icon_surprised.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 7:21am
post #8 of 27

I would charge at least $90. minimum. according to this http://earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm 30 servings from a 10" round x $3/serving minimum

MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 9:31am
post #9 of 27

I'll join the 'crazy' club - I charge FROM $3.00 for BC & $3.50 for fondant, so although this a BC cake with fondant accents those daisies & pearls take TIME people, so I would also charge quite 'high' - $3.75 per serving. So I would charge around $140 and that's cheap. I know several bakeries here that have a minimum $5 per serving for ANY cake, and quite a few won't touch a cake for less than $8 per serving!!!

Newatdecorating Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 27

Thank you all! I'm just happy to know I could get something for it.

Waterfallsoygurl - What's the difference between the 2-layer 10" party cake and the 10" wedding cake you were mentioning? Can you not go by the number of servings that are listed with the pan information? Mine says that a 2 layer 10" yields 39 servings. I know it would depend on the cutting size, but just wondering what the difference was.

Jenthecakelady Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 27

Typically a "party" Serving is 1.5"x2", where a "wedding" serving is 1"x2"-it is all about the cutting size. A 10" round would have 28 & 38 servings respectively-this is according to the Wilton serving guide.

I am from the midwest-here I would charge $2.50-$3.00 per serving.

howsweet Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 27

If it were 4 layers, I'd charge $112
If it were 4 layers covered in fondant $160.

Because it's only 2 layers, it's going to feed half as many people.

melhoneybee Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #13 of 27

I'd probably go with about $136 here.

tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm
post #14 of 27

Around $125...I think all the flowers around it is what raises the price up. Maybe with a simple border could go down a lot..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

soygurl Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:

Waterfallsoygurl - What's the difference between the 2-layer 10" party cake and the 10" wedding cake you were mentioning? Can you not go by the number of servings that are listed with the pan information? Mine says that a 2 layer 10" yields 39 servings. I know it would depend on the cutting size, but just wondering what the difference was.

Like Jenthecakelady said, it's the difference in slice size... traditionally party cake slices are bigger that wedding cake slices. And in my area, people expect even bigger slices than the "traditional" size (10"=20 party servings here). icon_rolleyes.gif
It's not that I think the cake you posted isn't WORTH $130+, just that there are only a handful of people in my area who would even CONSIDER paying that kind of price for that cake. Heck, the bakery I work at (probably the most high-end in the area) has EXTREMELY low prices compared to the industry standard. Our "party" cakes are $1.50-$2/serving (round, 2-3 layers); 2 layer sheet cakes are only .80-$1.20/serving! Wedding cakes (4 layers) are equally low: BC cakes start at about $2.50/serving, and fondant are usually $3.50/serving.
Yet even with those insanely low prices, I regularly hear customers complaining about how "expensive" our cakes are!! icon_confused.gif
To make a long story short, prices can vary a LOT from the industry standard, depending on the area you live in and what kind of prices the customer base will pay.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

39 times four bucks. $160-ish

I thought this was fondant.

I don't know~~I'm missing details left & right.
It clearly says buttercream.

So 39 times three bucks is what I'd really charge, like $125-ish

Sorry sorry sorry sorry.

melhoneybee Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 27

OH! I thought it was fondant covered too! How silly! In that case, it would be about $111. icon_smile.gif

Newatdecorating Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #18 of 27

Jenthecakelady & Waterfallsoygurl - Thanks for explaining. I thought it probably had to do with the serving size.

K8memphis & Acupcakenameddesire - Doesn't bother me that you are missing details. I'll take that as a compliment if you looked at it and actually thought it was fondant! icon_biggrin.gif That must mean that I am improving. Just blows me away that there are some people that actually think my cake is worth something! It means a lot when you hear that from people in this community.

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #19 of 27
Quote:

Jenthecakelady & Waterfallsoygurl - Thanks for explaining. I thought it probably had to do with the serving size.

K8memphis & Acupcakenameddesire - Doesn't bother me that you are missing details. I'll take that as a compliment if you looked at it and actually thought it was fondant! icon_biggrin.gif That must mean that I am improving. Just blows me away that there are some people that actually think my cake is worth something! It means a lot when you hear that from people in this community.

Dont ever think your work is not worth the money, thats the first rule!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

TantalizingTreats Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #20 of 27

Where I live no one would pay more than $40 for that cake... I don't know why people are so cheap here... but they honestly think the cake comes out decorated... and because of this I use cakeboss and whatever it tells me what the cake is worth is what I charge... it would cost me $22 to make (this includes ingredients and desposable materials) , i charge $15 an hour for my time... so with 2 hours of labour, i would charge $52.00 (and thats rounding to the nearest dollar) which works out to be $1.74 per serving.... I wish I could charge more..

foxymomma521 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet

If it were 4 layers, I'd charge $112
If it were 4 layers covered in fondant $160.

Because it's only 2 layers, it's going to feed half as many people.

icon_confused.gif
Whether she has 2 layers of cake or 4 it'll still be 4" high... SO why would it only feed half as many people?

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #22 of 27

There is no way I could get any more than $55 - $65 (if that) for that beautiful cake around here.... icon_sad.gif

But I don't charge by the slice for non-tiered cakes - yes, I understand 'cake is cake' but I have to agree to disagree with the people who charge by the slice no matter what size cake. It's not that I don't agree with the simple logic, but the sad fact is I would NEVER get any orders if I charged $95-$100 for a simple 10" buttercream cake.

I have flat rate prices for the different size cakes and then anything stacked/tiered is charged by the slice and includes local delivery. Doesn't matter if it's a wedding or a birthday, stacked cakes are priced differently.

Great job on the cake, btw!

patticakesnc Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #23 of 27

Personally around here I could only get around $75 for the cake and that is on the high side here.

LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:40am
post #24 of 27

Cakediva73 I totally get you on having a flat rate for a traditional 10" cake, but how would charge if someone came in asking for a crazy design with a whole lot of custom stuff, fondant, etc., etc. How would you price it then? By the way, I get $113 for the cake.

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:16am
post #25 of 27

My flat rate price for a 10" buttercream cake is $50. If there were fondant accents, flowers, etc. then I charge extra for them.

It's not as if I am laughing at you guys who would charge that much - more power to you!!!! icon_smile.gif and I'm a bit jealous to boot!

For tiered cakes I am $3 for BC or $4 for fondant so it's not like I undercut or charge pennies. I just have to offer something at a lower price or I would never get any orders.

springlakecake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #26 of 27

I think I would charge $90. ($3 a serving x 30 ish servings)

Cathy26 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #27 of 27

I would charge £30 sterling for a simple pretty cake like that. extra if there are gumpaste figures. i think a lot depends on where you live and also if you are a proper professional doing this full time. for me its a sideline so i can get loads of orders and make extra money. if iwas relying on it as a full time job then it would be double that price at least. i was working out how much id need to make just to go down to a four day week at work and it was a lot of cakes id need to make icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%