Freeze Sour Cream?

Decorating By Limpy Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 8:41am by mclaren

Limpy Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 5

Use the extender boxed cake recipe a lot. Often see sour cream on sale, but often end up throwing half the container out, as it has expired & I have not been able to use the whole container. Has anyone ever frozen sour cream? I know that the appearance will be different when thawed, but I am thinking this will not matter once it is mixed in with the other ingredients. Anyone frozen sour cream before & if you did & then thawed & used it, did your cake come out o.k?

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #2 of 5

You know after much thought on this I bet it could be used *for this purpose* but not as one would usually use it.
It will be watery, and if I remember right sort of lumpy....small ones.

OR>>>>> You could send me all your unused remains! I'll put it to good use! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 5

I hadn't thought of that. I don't keep sour cream in the fridge so it would be nice to freeze the remainder of a carton.

ceshell Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:37am
post #4 of 5

Hm, I have not frozen SC but I have frozen heavy cream and buttermilk, for later use in baking. Those products work out fine, even though most websites will tell you you cannot freeze em. I'd just give it a trial run asap, freeze some SC for a few weeks and then make a 1/2 recipe (or 1/3 or 1/4, whatever is the smallest you can break it down) to test it out. My guess is it will work fine. *fingers crossed*

mclaren Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:41am
post #5 of 5

i had frozen sour cream before (to be used in my cheesecake), & it worked fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%