Do I Have Chance To Get Hired?

Business By Lidunka25 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm by solascakes

Lidunka25 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 18

Hello there guys,

I am currently staying at home mom and LVN full time student with my hobby of cake decorating. I am currently looking for part time job, for any field but TODAY... I saw this add for artist experienced in fondant secondary baker. Ummm well, I did answer to this add and now I feel sick to my stomach that I should not have because I think my work is good, but not good enough for professional cake decorator. I have sent them my portfolio with samples of my cakes.
Can somebody of you, please, whom has bakery, tell me if u will hire somebody like that, I mean from my pictures....
Thank you

17 replies
tripleE Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:46am
post #2 of 18

Oh, yes! You definitely qualify! Don't sweat it! icon_biggrin.gif

drummer27 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #3 of 18

You do very nice work! I think you have a great chance...good luck!

kakeladi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:55am
post #4 of 18

Just because you applied doesn't mean you will get the job.......
But.....I think you will icon_smile.gif

Win Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:02am
post #5 of 18

Oh my! Please don't tell me you don't think you'd qualify for a job such as you described! From what your pictures show, you have no reason to sweat!

thumbs_up.gif

Lidunka25 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #6 of 18

I know that I might not get it. I was just wondering if I am crazy to apply for such a job.
I just did not want to be like the people in "American Idol" who come sing like a horse and think they are good. You know what I mean right icon_smile.gif
Thank you so much for your support, well now I will see if they will be interested in me.
Thank you, thank you, thank you icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:08am
post #7 of 18

Your skill set is great. I wouldn't worry about that. As a business owner, I would be concerned about you describing yourself as a " stay at home mom" . That would cause me to hesitate because it makes it seem you look at decorating a a hobby, and that if the kids had the sniffles or you had a test a school, I'd be making me own cake.

Having a job is a two way street. You need to able to make the commitment to do what the employer needs, which in cake decorating can mean some long hours on Thursday Friday and Saturday.

Are you sure you want the job ?

Wesha Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:20am
post #8 of 18

I do not have a bakery, but your work is fabulous and you have an excellent shot looking at your portfolio. Don't let no one discourage you. As far as being a student, you can handle the load. I just finished my accounting degee and was taking my classes on line, working a 40 hour per week job, and being a mom of a 10 and 2 year old in addition to baking cakes here and there. I am rooting for you. thumbs_up.gif

littlecake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:21am
post #9 of 18

they look at your speed as well as your skills....bakery work is usually mandatory saturdays...every saturday...

you stuff looks very nice, you won't have to worry about that.

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #10 of 18

I guess it really depends on the owner. I was a stay home mom when I started. I asked if they needed a part time for 2 days a week. Long story short....she loved my work. Now I work still thursdays and fridays, I am the wedding designer and If I need to do flowers and special things for my cakes, she alouds me to do them from my house.

The quality of my work is worth her letting me do this. I have lupus so I have to work as I can. If
I kill myself working too much, then the days I really need to crank it( thursdays and fridays) I would be dead.

Sometimes it takes onr person to believe in you and give you an opportunity to find out it was worth it. Not only for ourselves but for them too. I was lucky...I got to say that..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Lidunka25 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #11 of 18

Thank you guys icon_smile.gif I know it will be hard with kid and school but it has to be done, I really do not want to be stay at home mom forever, even that I love my kid icon_smile.gif And if I will get lucky and they will hire me (sure I know that if I apply does not mean I will get hired), it will be better for me in field which I love to do icon_smile.gif Now I will just wait and see icon_wink.gif

lostincake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:35am
post #12 of 18

The fact that you can decorate like that as a hobby I think will be seen as a benefit because the expectation would be that once you do it more regularly as a job, you will only get better. So heck yeah I think you have a better than OK shot at it. Good Luck!

Lidunka25 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:39am
post #13 of 18

HEY YOU GUYS!!! I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU, I DID GET HIRED. TODAY IN THE MORNING I HAD INTERVIEW AND I STARTED TO WORK 2 HOURS LATER... HEHEEH THE VERY SAME DAY. I AM SO HAPPY icon_smile.gif

ok, now I have to calm down. Thank you so much for wishing me luck. It paid off. Thank you!

Bijoudelanuit Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #14 of 18

Congratulations!!! How exciting for you!

patticakesnc Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 18

That is so wonderful! I am so happy for you!!!!!

butterfly831915 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #16 of 18

See the awesome work you do paid off. Way to go!! Congrats..

lostincake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #17 of 18

Great news!!! Congratulations!

solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #18 of 18

Well congrats Lidunka25, good luck in your new job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%