Need Help Asap...impression Mat Question

Decorating By CMBX2MOM Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm by CMBX2MOM

CMBX2MOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMBX2MOM Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 6

I'm finishing up a cake right now and it's my first time using an impression mat, heck it's my first time using the Viva paper towel method and I'm loving it.
I let my BC sit a bit and then smoothed with VIVA. Worked great. Then went to try the impression mat. I did alight spray with cooking spray (I thought I read that somewhere) and my BC started coming off the cake. I quickly tried my best to resmooth with VIVA. Is it the cooking spray that did this...do I just use it dry and hope the BC doesn't stick?
Also the BC is purple and the spray seemed to have started changing the color a bit to pink....

5 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #2 of 6

no cooking spray. that is the culprit. let the cake crust well, and use a clean dry mat, that you can even dust with cornstarch a little

HTH

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #3 of 6

I don't know that the spray would cause a color change, but regular gel/paste purples often fade to pinks or blues when exposed to any type of light for any length of time.

I know you can't decorate in the dark icon_confused.gif , but it can be a real issue. I've invested in some no-fade purple by ChefMaster and I love the results.

HTH
Rae

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 6

It got to the be the cooking spray causing you pain. Next time rub a bit of shortening on your hands and work it in.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

It got to the be the cooking spray causing you pain. Next time rub a bit of shortening on your hands and work it in.

Sorry, but I don't really think you want anything but a dry mat with a bit of CS or PS on it when using an impression mat on buttercream. I've used some crisco or cooking spray when using one on fondant, but that's a different animal--you actually want the mat to stick to the fondant.

Just my honest .02
Rae

CMBX2MOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMBX2MOM Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. I dried off the mat and let the icing crust a little more and it was ok. Of course it didn't mattter because I hated the purple color that seemed to fade out, so I wnet over it with fondant anyway. The mat was still tough on the fondant but that was probably because I had to do it after the cake was already stacked....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%